    MB , is this true ? I really don't want to change O.S. as I would lose too
    much software and possibly printer capability .
    Thanks in Advance , TonyB

    Tony Baker, Sep 9, 2003

  2. Tony Baker

    John Guest

    | Hi .
    | I recently bought the 865 PE Neo 2 Ls motherboard along with 2.6 C Gig
    | P4 processor 800 PSB and Corsair RAM 512 mb DDR 400 single stick 3200
    CPT.
    | 400 W. power supply . I run W98 SE o.s. I input DV via a firewire card and
    | keep it on an external firewire drive 120 GB . What settings in the Bios
    | would be optimal for rendering DV to mpeg2 being fast but stable at the
    | same time ? Also , would there be much of a gain in speed going to dual
    | channel with a pair of 256 Corsairs instead of the single 512 ? Intels
    | website says that W98 SE doesn't support hyperthreading or Memory over 512
    | MB , is this true ? I really don't want to change O.S. as I would lose too
    | much software and possibly printer capability .
    | Thanks in Advance , TonyB

    Read the MS Knowledge Base for info about memory limits on Win 9X.
    Basically, use over 512 MB and the cache gets confused and you get false out
    of memory reports. There are some suggested work arounds which I have not
    tried. If I recall, the "solution" is to increase the cache size so that
    Windows only has access to 512 or something like that.

    I am not a great fan of XP, but it does a pretty good job of running older
    software. I have a Xerox P12 laser which has only Win9X drivers and it runs
    fine, as does most Win9X software I have tried. It can handle much more RAM
    and is designed to use modern hardware. Eventually older Windows versions
    will not cope with new hardware or software. Tom's Hardware site has had
    some good stuff comparing motherboards with various memory configurations.
    HTH
    John

    John, Sep 11, 2003

  3. You can use more than 512MB of RAM with 98SE, try this
    Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum
    amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB) or less. For
    additional information about how to use the MaxFileCache setting, click the
    article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    108079 32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size

    R.G. Saunders, Nov 22, 2003