865PE 915G 533MHz FSB and DDR400 question

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Bill, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I am thinking of buying a new motherboard using 865PE or newer 915G
    chipset. I want to start off with a 533MHz FSB Celeron D and perhaps
    upgrade to a 800MHz FSB P4 much later.

    Both Asus and Gigabyte manuals for their 865PE boards quote that only
    DDR266 or DDR333 should be used with 533MHz FSB cpu.

    My question is, can I still install DDR400 and expect the memory to
    operate at DDR333 spec when using 533MHz FSB? (ie. like using the old
    PC133 SDRAM in a P3 board that uses PC100 SDRAM)

    Similarly, the manuals suggest I can use DDR400 or DDR333 in a 915G
    motherboard when running a 533MHz FSB cpu. Is this correct?

    bill

    Bill, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Bill

    Jan Guest

    I had the same idea, but it didn't work right.

    I have a 865PERL board with a 3.06 GHz P4. Using the DDR400 memory the
    system would boot up only when using the channel A DIMM sockets and then
    in single speed mode. I installed two sticks of DDR333, using DIMM
    channels A and B, every thing worked perfectly (at 533 DDR speed).

    Jan

    Jan, Apr 30, 2005