865PE Neo2 FIS2R - Fails POST

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Conrad, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hello

    I have built a new PC based on the 865PE Neo2 FIS2R m/b
    CPU is 2.4 P4, 1 gig of DDR RAM, Geoforce FX 5200 graphics.

    My problem is that the PC fails right on the start up. The diagnostic
    light on the d-bracket shows 4 reds ie damaged or incorrectly
    installed CPU.

    I am sure the CPU is installed correctly and have borrowed another CPU
    to try with the same result.

    On start up the CPU, M/B and case fans all run so I guess the PSU is
    OK.

    I've built several PCs previously so I am fairly au fait with the
    procedure but this one has got me stumped. That's not to say I haven't
    done something dumb this time so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be
    grateful for any info.

    Thanks in advance.

    Conrad

    Conrad, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Conrad

    Phillip99 Guest

    Conrad,
    Check the empty socket carefully especially when you close it
    for any obstructions. Check your cpu pins with a good
    magnifying glass. Check your power connection to the
    motherboard and jiggle it while the machine is on. Last, take
    motherboard out from case and try an out-of-case start. Good
    luck.

    Phil

    Phillip99, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Yes, thanks Phil - there was a bad connection between the wire on the
    CPU power wire and one of the pins. I'd re-inserted the plug several
    times but it wasn't until I put an AVO on it that I discovered the
    discontinuity. I have now rewired the plug and all is fine - damn PSU
    and it wasn't a cheap one either.

    We live and learn - one more thing to look for next time there's a
    glitch.

    Thanks again

    Conrad

    Conrad, Jan 7, 2004