865PE NEO2-PS CPU temps rise to the moon

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Ruud, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Ruud

    Ruud Guest

    Hi,

    With BIOS version 3.5 I have CPU temp readings of 50°C idle to 53°C
    under full load (with [email protected]) I found these readings a bit on the
    high side, especially because the heatsink (Zalman CNPS7000 CU) feels
    cold to lukewarm when I touch it, so I think the temps are lower in
    reality. I have a Northwood 3 GHz CPU. When I heard of a new
    BIOS-release (3.6) which have a more accurate CPU temp reading, I
    updated my mobo with it but the temps are now a LOT higher instead of
    lower! Now I have 55°C idle and 67°C under full load. Again, the
    heatsink feels cold to slightly warm.

    Does MSI messed-up the temp-readings, or are these temps normal for a
    Northwood?

    MSI claimed on their site that they improved the temp-reading with
    BIOS version 3.6

    Quote from their site:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=528&kind=1

    - Improve S3 resume issue with Matrox G550 VGA card.
    - Modify CPU temperature
    - Modify NB Fan
    - Update microcode

    Does anyone have the same readings with a similar CPU and mobo?

    Thanks,

    Ruud

    Ruud, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Ruud

    Hellraiser Guest

    Again, the
    If a heatsink is doing its job properly then it should be warm to the
    touch - might be an idea to remove it, clean it up and put some arctic
    silver on, then refit and see if it makes any difference. A cold heatsink is
    usually not a good sign :(

    Hellraiser..........>

    Hellraiser, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Ruud

    Ruud Guest

    Thanks for you reply,

    I have already fitted the heatsink with Arctic Silver II and I have
    removed, cleaned and reinstalled the heatsink several times, but still
    I get the same results. The heatsink is not completely cold, but
    slightly warm to the touch. The older boxed Intel heatsink & fan gave
    the same temp-results, but is more noisier due to the smaller fan and
    aluminium heatsink with copper core. The Zalman is made of 100% copper
    and should have better results..

    Ruud

    Ruud, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Ruud

    Enk Guest

    I have exactly the same setup, except that i'm still using the stock
    fan/heatsink. I've noticed that corecenter gives temps 5 degrees C higher
    than speedfan.

    That means that full throttle 65C by corecenter is 60C by speedfan (they're
    the actual values, on a hot day). That's probably still a little high, but
    it's safe. You haven't mentioned what app you're using to measure your
    temps.

    Enk, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Ruud

    Gilles Pion Guest

    I have a northwood (2.8) CPU with the standard heatsink on a MSI board (865 neo2
    but not a "P" series) and my idle temperature is 38° , 45/50° on full load
    (using speedfan)
    There are known issues with this bios release, check this:
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=46321&sid= (read complete thread,
    you will see you are not alone)

    A friend of mine has the *exact* same configuration as you (mobo and cpu) and is
    faced with the same "overheating" problems.

    After having flashed with the 3.6 bios he choose to downgrade to 3.5 and now his
    board is unable to boot (even using the bios recover mode)

    Gilles Pion, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Ruud

    Ruud Guest

    I use latest corecenter 1.6.1.0.
    I thought It was the only monitoring program that works with MSI?

    Ruud

    Ruud, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Ruud

    Enk Guest

    Untrue, and for my money, not as good as speedfan. I'm not alone in
    mistrusting corecenter, either.

    Enk, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Ruud

    Ruud Guest

    Thanks for the info and the link. I'm clearly not the only one with
    this problem.

    I went back to 3.5 and everything is fine again. Temps are dropped
    down to 50°C idle and 53°C full load as it should be.

    My conclusion: 3.6 is not recommended.
    My advice to other 865PE NEO2-PS or Platinum owners: Stay with 3.5!

    Ruud

    Ruud, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Ruud

    Spajky Guest

    sure, first were readings from the probe in the socket/under HS, than
    were from onDie Cpu Diode ...

    do not worry about temps ...! (if everything is stable & under 80°C
    from onDie diode, than thermal throttling kicks in .. slowing things
    down ..)

    Spajky, Apr 10, 2004