865PE Neo2FIS2R + Win XP ( new motherboard + old hard disk) - Win XP prob ??

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Barath, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Barath

    Barath Guest

    Hello,
    I got myself a new 865 PE Neo2 FIS2R motherboard with 2.8GHz pentium.
    I am however trying to use the hard disk from my old system on the new
    system. I was expecting to having some issues with XP product
    activation etc.

    Was able to set up the system and the 4 led lights on the back panel
    all glow green. After the POST however I get this message that I have
    to choose how to load windows

    Safe mode
    Normally
    Last known good config
    and couple other options
    and starts a countdown to automatically select the option - Normally

    However at this point my keyboard and mouse stop working - I have a
    usb keyboard and mouse. And on top of that - after the countdown - XP
    does not laod and it starts the POST again. It keeps repeating this.

    I am guessing it has probs with some IRQ or something - that XP has
    stored in the hard disk about the old system config. My old system was
    a Athlon 1.4 GHz on a Asus A7V133 system.

    Would appreciate any info/suggestions on this.

    Thanks

    Cheers
    Barath

    Barath, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Barath

    SpeedyCat Guest

    You won't be able to boot from the old hard drive if the HAL (Hardware
    Abstraction Layer) from your old motherboard is differ than the new
    one. Sometimes even the HAL are the same, the old drivers which used
    software codec (audio, modem) can cause conflict as well. Go into the
    CMOS and disable all the on board device then, try boot into the safe
    mode. If it doesn't work, you might have to re-install the Windows.

    SpeedyCat, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Barath

    Barath Guest

    Was looking up for more info on this on Google. Gave me a link to
    another newsgroup. Seems the best way to go about this is to do a
    clean install of the OS.

    Following is the link

    http://www-level3.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20719191.html

    Definitely a pain but seems the best option as far as eventual time
    spent and system stability is concerned.

    Thanks

    Cheers
    Barath

    Barath, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Barath

    Glennswe Guest

    Hi guys again, promised to send some more info about my problems with 875
    neo. It seems stabile now with raised voltage on the AGP to 1,7 and belive
    it or not, going back to Hercules own 3,7 drivers instead of referencedriver
    3,7. Really really strange, but I have played for days now without any
    lockups so hopefully it stays that way.

    Thnx for all help guys and good luck

    Glenn

    Glennswe, Sep 27, 2003