865PE Neo2FISR and Mushkin PC3200 Level I Ram Problem

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Guest, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2FISR
    Processor: 2.8C
    Ram: 1G Mushkin PC3200 Level I (512K matched pair) 2-3-2-6

    I'm having problems with Muskin PC3200 Level I ram. Prime95 reports
    errors during the stress test. Usually within 10 minutes. This is with
    the most conservative setting, i.e., no over clocking.

    So I tried the modules in a friend's Asus IC7-G. Prime 95 still
    reports errors.

    I contacted Mushkin tech support. They told me to try a DDR voltage of
    2.75V, use Memtest86 and try to isolate down to one module. So back to
    testing with the MSI MB. At the higher voltage, Prime95 takes longer
    to find an error. It could take an hour or so. Still, it finds an
    error. Memtest86 will find errors. It happens with either module. I
    tried relaxing the timings. The errors go down and eventually away.
    Still, after paying for 2-3-2-6 Ram, I expect for it to work at
    nominal settings without errors.

    I got back in touch with Mushkin tech support. He asks how many errors
    memtest86 reports. I tell him 400 in an hour. He informs me that he
    wouldn't worry. The bad modules get 10's of thousands of errors. The
    refurbished RMA modules that they use could have more errors than
    mine.

    So, I take another approach. I RMA the Mushkin ram back to Newegg for
    new modules. No reason to take refurbished modules.

    In the mean time, I borrow a single 2.5-3-3-6 512M module (Kingmax)
    from another friend. It ran fine for 10 days.

    The new Mushkin modules show up today. They have the same problem.
    Subjectively, they have more errors than the first set. The errors
    occur more sooner even at 2.75V.

    Is anyone else having problems with Mushkin PC3200 Level I ram? Have
    you found a solution?

    Which low latency modules are working well with this motherboard?

    Thanks,

    Doc

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I forgot to add that the Bios version is 1.9.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Guest

    Alan Guest Guest

    Zero errors over a test period of say 24 hours is the only acceptable
    solution. You see one single error could spell disaster for your system. Get
    the modules replaced as they are no good.

    Alan

    Alan Guest, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Guest

    John Schuler Guest

    Or the motherboard is no good, or the memory test is producing false positives,
    or... Did you try running the diagnostic on your friends computer, and if that's
    OK, try your friends memory in your motherboard?

    John Schuler, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My friends ram ran overnight just fine in the MSI board. The problem
    is that may not have been enough time for errors to show up.

    I continued testing since the first posting. The 865PE Neo2 ran
    without errors using a single stick of Kingmax 512M DDR433 ram
    (2.5-4-4-8, ugh, slow stuff....) for several days. When I loaded up a
    second stick, Prime95 showed errors in the 24-30 hour range. This is
    at base speeds, not over clocking. If I over clock at all, the errors
    show up in a matter of minutes to hours depending on how aggressive I
    push it.

    Based upon a gut feeling, I've purchased another motherboard. I'm
    burning in a Gigabyte 8KNXP. It is a 875 based board. The initial
    testing is ok. It ran about 30 hours without over clocking. When I try
    to push it, the rounding error in Prime95 shows up. I've tried it at
    215, 210 and 205MHz FSB. The 205 ran for about 15 hours before getting
    a rounding error. The 205 testing was at 1.7V cpu and 2.7V DDR.
    (Without raising the CPU voltage Prime95 gets a rounding error in
    minutes, even at 205.) I've put it back to nominal settings and will
    let it run for a few days. At this point, I'd like to see 72 hours
    without errors before putting it in service.

    Misc musings:
    1. I could have a 2.8c proc that just won't over clock. At the same
    time, the NEO2 still had Prime95 rounding errors at base settings.
    Mind you, it took 30 hours for the error to occur. Maybe multiple
    components are contributing factors.
    2. The power supply could be part of the problem. It is the Antec 380W
    supply that comes with the Sonata case. My past experiences say that
    this is a long shot.
    3. The Kingmax ram could be out of spec. I'd have to try running it
    slower and seeing if the problems go away. (It's running damn slow
    already!) If the Gigabyte board goes 72 hours I won't care any more.
    4. To enable PAT on the Neo2, it also raises the FSB clock to 202.8
    MHz. This doesn't seem like a lot. However, even on the 8KNXP, I get
    errors at 205MHz. The Neo2 would be more useful if PAT could be
    enabled without raising the clock.
    5. I chose the Kingmax ram because it has a data sheet for it. Based
    upon the data sheet, I'm not sure why it is labeled as DDR433. Most of
    the specs are the same as their DDR400 ram. I emailed Kingmax and
    asked for an updated data sheet. They haven't responded.
    6. There are no detailed data sheets for the high end 2-3-2 ram like
    the Mushkin. They are all hand selecting parts. There might be a data
    sheet for the rams on the module. However, this won't take into
    account delays due to the traces on the module itself. My conclusion
    about high end ram is that they might work. Then again they might not.
    Anyone who has designed electronics for production knows that it is
    the corner conditions that will get you. Once you start hand selecting
    parts you get into trouble. I wonder what would happen if everyone
    burnt in their systems.
    5. I'm tired of testing. I just want a stable system.....

    Doc

    Guest, Dec 28, 2003