875P Neo FIS2R unstable - Help!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Kevin, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I can't get my 875P Neo FIS2R system to run stably. Not trying to
    overclock, just to run reliably.

    MSI 875P, bios flashed to 1.6
    P4 2.8mhz 800mhz
    Corsair TwinX 512 3200C2 (2 sticks, 1gb)
    ATI Radeon 7000 (also tried two other ATI Radeon cards)
    Enermax 365W P4 power supply
    Western Digital 120gb ATA drive
    LG DVD drive

    The system does pass the POST, I have been able to install Windows XP Pro
    (it has crashed mid way through, but eventually I did get it installed), and
    I can often (60% of the time) logon to the system, but it will always crash
    shortly thereafter.

    The first thing I did was flash the MB bios to 1.6. I have since tried
    running the system on just one memory stick, then tried the other. Also
    tried placing both sticks in banks B (slot 2 & 4). No combination helps.

    I am using default bios settings, including "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD"
    which results in 2.5-4-4-8 (Burst length 4). The Corsair spec is 2-3-3-6,
    which I have also tried without success.

    I was first using a PC Power & Cooling 275 Silencer power supply which
    required an ATX 12V adapter and suspected the crashes were due to
    insufficient power, so I upgraded to the Enermax power supply, but again
    this didn't solve the problem.

    I have been testing with the system stripped down to motherboard, processor,
    memory, video card, and hard drive -- nothing else (well, of course the
    power supply <g>).

    I don't have any other memory sticks to test with.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Kevin

    Kevin, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Kevin

    William B. Guest

    Sounds more like software than hardware to me. Have you looked at the EVENT
    VIEWER, (START, MY COMPUTER, MANAGE, then SYSTEM TOOLS, then EVENT VIEWER )
    applications..........then system?? Your crashes will be documented there
    which should give you more than a hint as to the problem. Your Corsair
    should be in slot 1 and 3.

    Check your protected system files by: sfc /scannow with the WinXP Pro
    disk in the CD tray.

    Install the XP Pro SYSTEM RECOVERY CONSOLE....................post here if
    you don't know how.

    See if you can get it to run in SAFE MODE.

    No doubt you did a DEFRAG after the installation of Win XP Pro?

    My 875P Neo FIS2R with Corsair 1 gig is very similar to yours and it's rock
    solid.

    Bill

    William B., Jul 16, 2003

  3. Kevin

    Scott Guest

    Here is the deal;

    Make sure you are not running in the "frequency control"> performance (MAT)
    =SLOW

    Fast, Turbo, Ultra Turbo at this time will not work well, if at all with
    again, any other setting other than "Slow"

    MSI for some reason uses the "fast mode" For default setup, and they ought
    to know better not to do that. I have been in contact with both Corsair and
    OCZ and both have confirmed that the higher grade memory one has, the less
    likely this new MAT feature will have much success with it since the memory
    settings are tight already stock.

    Now as well, it does not matter what you set your ram to other than SPD, no
    matter what, only the SPD settings can be used at this time. This is a known
    issue with your 875P. What this means is that if you set your timings to
    anything else rather than SPD, although it will read when you boot up again
    the new timings, actually it is still running by SPD. MSI must address this
    issue in a future bios revision.

    In a nutshell, MAKE SURE YOUR MAT PERFORMANCE MODE IS SET TO "slow" when
    using higher end memory. Generic memory users will have more success with
    running "fast" or "turbo" modes..

    Peace

    Scott, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Kevin

    Scott Guest

    CORRECTION

    Here is the deal;

    Make sure you ARE running in the "frequency control"> performance (MAT)
    =SLOW..

    SORRY

    Scott, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Kevin

    Scott Guest

    One more thing, you said;

    "I am using default bios settings, including "Configure DRAM Timing by SPD"
    which results in 2.5-4-4-8 (Burst length 4)."

    Sane problem for any ram that runs in this board all dims will read SPD
    2.5-4-4-8 and again. manually changing that at this time wont do didly
    squat, the timings will still be the above mentioned for every ram, every
    model, REGARDLESS..

    someone care to prove me wrong?

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

    Set your ram to any timing you want on the neo fisr 875 under any bios, With
    performance MAT setting to "slow" even the latest.

    Run the above installed program.. check the memory tab.. SURPRISE!! TIMINGS
    ARE;

    2.5.4.4.8 cpu-z reads for the bios not the spd and still everyone will get
    the same exact ram timings.. MSI GET ON THIS PROBLEM PLEASE!! THANKS

    Scott, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Scott,

    Thanks for your help!

    Have downloaded memtest86 and it appears I have some bad memory, even when
    running in SLOW mode and SPD enabled. Changing the DRAM voltage didn't help
    either (as suggested by members of the Corsair newsgroup).

    Kevin

    Kevin, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Kevin

    Scott Guest

    I am not so sure you got bad memory. Try mem-testing in another mainboard
    first before sending back the ram. Personally, I believe the mainboard(bios
    problems) is the culprit here because many people with your exact ram are
    having the exact same issues. Corsair is rock solid quality ram. While of
    course it is possible you have a bad matched pair, in my opinion it is
    highly unlikely.

    I believe MAT is the culprit here. The mainboard is already reading your
    corsair's SPD wrong. Think about what else it might be reading wrong!!

    My OCZ ram comes set from the factory at more relaxed timings, but is rated
    for cas2 at 2.3.3.7 at 433.

    I would not say this mainboard is a ":piece of junk" but the bios
    programming along with the bs MAT function is for sure garbage.

    Peace

    Scott, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Scott,
    If I had another system (or other DDR memory), I would conduct the suggested
    test, but I don't, so the memory has been returned and some new sticks are
    due on Monday. If the problem persists, then the MB becomes the main
    suspect.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Jul 19, 2003