    ballpark estimates. I'm thinking of using a 2nd, spare baby AT PSU to power
    just a 8800 GTS/GTX video card (since my 435 watt Enermax is only rated for
    20A of 12V power).

    Doug, May 4, 2007

  2. Doug

    Thomas Guest

    These days' videocards mainly use the +12V rail(s). The max draw by a GTS is
    about 10 to 11 amps. The GTX is a bit higher, say 13-14. Most AT
    powersupplies wont deliver that much juice... (i know, it's sick ;-) )

    Strange that your Enermax 435 is only 20 amps? My old supply was an Enermax
    365FMA, and it's rated for 26 amps on the 12V rail.

    Thomas, May 4, 2007

  3. Doug

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    I agree that the OP has likely misread his 12V amperage rating for his
    Enermax '435'. Which might also not be the right model or even make
    since the Enermax V series, (dated but still adequate) had 22A on the
    +12v line of the EG301P-V (300w), 26A on the EG-365P-V (350w), and 33A
    on the EG465P-V (460W).

    But what you claim, if true, means you have a mediocre PSU, even the
    250W EG265P-V has 18A on +12v1. Maybe you overlooked +12v2?

    Mr.E Solved!, May 4, 2007
  4. Doug

    Paul Guest

    An Nvidia chart with their maximum values, is listed here.

    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTE3ODA2MTU5OGRmUGVmSGdkUU1fMV8xX2wuanBn

    Xbitlabs has measured the cards, and the measured value is less.
    But that does not prevent a future application from making better
    use of the silicon, and drawing more power. But these results
    might be consistent with current gaming.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/msi8800gts-640_6.html

    The thumbnail pictures at the bottom of the Xbitlabs page, shows
    the individual measurements. The GTX has two PCI Express 2x3 aux
    power connectors, which is why there are three columns for its
    measurement (one measurement for +12V from the slot, two measurements
    for the aux connectors).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 4, 2007
  5. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Well, it's an old(I only bought it two years ago!) EG465P-VE FCA and
    according to the sticker and the manual it only has 20A on the 12V rail.
    It's a 20-pin ATX 2.03/1.1. It's a 431 Watt model. It doesn't have dual
    rails on anything...

    Doug, May 5, 2007
  6. Doug

    Doug Guest

    That's insane. My Baby AT 250 Watt PSU is rated at 9A on the 12V line, but
    it's a no-name special so I can't trust even that. My Antec ATX 250Watt only
    supplies 8A on the 12V line.

    Maybe I'll use my Baby AT to power my fans, floppy drive (yes, I still have
    one of those) and DVD drive, hopefully that will free up enough power so I
    can run everything else (two 7200 RPM EIDE HDD's, 2GB DDR400, Soundblaster
    Audigy and some sort of 8800) off of my Enermax EG465P-VE FCA.

    According to my Enermax manual, the EG365P-VE FMA is only rated at 17A on
    the 12V line.

    I guess surfing the 'net on a gaming system these days is hardly an
    environmentally friendly act.

    Doug, May 5, 2007
  7. Doug

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Blah, that's bad luck for you. But thanks for double checking. I read
    your other posting, that sounds like a big hassle to get two PSU's
    working in one case. I'd say try everything on that PSU first, and if
    you get any hiccups you know where to start fixing things!

    Mr.E Solved!, May 5, 2007
  8. Doug

    Thomas Guest

    Doug wrote, partly:
    Correct. In the 'old days', PC's used more off the 5V and 3.3V rails. I
    think only harddisks used the 12V rail. My no-name 235W PSU (in my server
    case) also just supplies 8 amps on the 12V rail, and still it manages 2 P2's
    at 400MHz, 3 SCSI drives and 512 MB of memory :)
    Check it out:
    http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=29

    I see your PSU is one of the 'whisper' series; more built for silence than
    for performance... I cannot even find it on the Enermax site, but I see
    enough links on the net that give a sub-20 amps rating on the 12V. I think
    it's not the best Enermax product ever.
    We're talking about max currents, of course. A drawback of an 8800 is,
    though, that even idling the card uses much power.

    Thomas, May 5, 2007
  9. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Thomas, it looks like you're enermax was EG365AX-VE, the manual I have for
    my Enermax makes no mention of an AX version so yours must be a newer
    revision.

    I've read (over on Tom's Hardware) that most enermax PSU's can put out more
    watts than they're rated for. This was true for all the in-depth
    reviews/tests they did of enermax PSU's.

    Doug, May 5, 2007