8800 GTS Lockups

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Dark Helmet, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet Guest

    Just bought a BFG Tech 8800 GTS OC yesterday. Everything seems fine at
    first, but once the card gets stressed, I get artifacts and lock-ups. Even
    WOW can lock it up easily.

    I thought maybe my power-supply was the culprit, so I ran out last night to
    get the best one I could find on a Sunday night. Ended up with only a 550
    watt PS (Mad Dog), but it has a dedicated 12v rail for graphics cards. My
    system as follows:

    Asus A8N Sli Deluxe mobo
    AMD 4000+ (soon to be replaced with dual core)
    2 gigs I forget which brand 3200 ram
    2 SATA drives (one 10,000 and one 7200)
    2 optical drives
    SB Audigy 4 card

    Well, that's pretty much it. Seems like either:

    A. My PS is still inadequate, but it should be able to handle one card, so
    I'm suspecting...
    B. The card itself is bad. The interesting point to note is that the seal
    on the static bag the card was in was broken, leading me to believe this
    card had been returned even though it was shrinkwrapped. COMPUSA being the
    culprit.

    What do you think?

    Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Dark Helmet

    Augustus Guest

    The interesting point to note is that the seal
    I think you were sold a returned card. When I buy a card or similar hardware
    from any brick and mortar store, I always open it on the premises right
    after purchasing (usually at the service desk) while they are watching. If
    it's sealed and appears original I leave. It's an unfortunate reality that
    many of these places do exactly what you have just experienced.

    Augustus, Feb 19, 2007

  3. Dark Helmet

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Absolutely, you were sold a product, expecting it to be new, un-used,
    and non-refurbished. Instead you got what you got, and it doesn't seem
    to work, the likely problem for the previous purchaser. Bad business,
    makes customers angry.

    I've never heard of Mad Dog PSUs, and what you describe is a potential
    PSU problem...but, for thoroughness sake, have you done what's required
    to put in a new GPU? i.e. update chipset drivers, BIOS updates, windows
    patching, properly install video drivers...you know, just to rule them
    all out.

    Mr.E Solved!, Feb 19, 2007
  4. Dark Helmet

    Access Guest

    I also have a 8800 GTS (Asus) with a 550 Watt PS (Antec), I have no problems
    whatsoever, all graphic details on maximum and WoW still delivering +120 FPS
    :) I also have 2GB of high-quality Corsair RAM.
    Lock-ups can be caused by (too) high temperatures. What's the temperature of
    your CPU/mainboard ? Do you immediately have problems or only after a
    certain time ? Do you have a case fan ?

    Matthias

    Access, Feb 19, 2007
  5. Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet Guest

    Well, thanks for all the advice. I went back to COMPUSA and exchanged the
    card for another, which looked perfectly new. It even smelled new lol. The
    card works great now.

    My take: the other card was defective out of the box and returned only to
    find it's way back to the shelf. OR it was damaged by someone, returned and
    still found it's way back to the shelf.

    The only saving grace for COMPUSA was that the staff was helpful in that the
    price had rung up at $499, but the website showed $399, which they
    graciously gave it to me for. I had thought $399 was the correct price, but
    now I've gone back and looked and I'm wondering if that wasn't supposed to
    be for the 320meg version and not the 640 meg version I bought.

    Ah well, now to get that AMD Opteron Dual Core Denmark 2.6ghz in there to
    breathe some last life into my 939 socket motherboard :)

    Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet, Feb 20, 2007
  6. Dark Helmet

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Can I ask you for a link for info on your new PSU? I assume you are
    happy with it, since it's not the culprit.

    Mr.E Solved!, Feb 20, 2007
  7. Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet Guest

  8. Dark Helmet

    Jethro Guest

    Wondering if it is a BFG video card issue as I have returned my 6600GT
    for system lockups.
    Only in 3D games I could play from 2 hours sometimes or less that 5
    minutes it could lockup the PC requiring a reset.
    I upgraded and downgraded drivers. Checked and rechecked fan cooling.
    Underclocked CPU and video card... nothing would stop it until I
    installed an old ATI9800pro my son was buying.
    Ran the ATI for 5 days with no issues. Put the BFG6600GT back in and
    fired up a game. Not 20 minutes later it locked up the PC... RMA time!

    Jethro, Feb 21, 2007
  9. Dark Helmet

    John Lewis Guest

    Available +12V current from your power-supply ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 22, 2007