8IK1100 - Bios settings to boot from SATA drive + 2 IDE ATA drives?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by RJGraham, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    Hello,

    I've put together many systems, but this is my first experience with a
    Gigabyte board (GA-8IK1100 Rev. 2.0) .

    I have a 120 GB Seagate SATA drive that I want to boot from, and two IDE ATA
    100 drives that I'd like to use as 2nd and 3rd drives.

    Can someone please tell me what bios version, settings, etc. I need to
    accomplish this?

    I've screwed around for several hours, installing a fresh copy of XP Pro
    onto my SATA drive.
    I played with the bios settings and was eventually able to boot from my SATA
    drive as SATA-0 and access my IDE drives.

    But, after rebooting, my system would no longer boot from SATA-0.

    I've upgraded to the latest bios from Gigabytes website but still cannot get
    my system to boot from SATA-0.

    I'm now running with SATA in AUTO mode which maps SATA-0 to IDE-0 .
    I'm sure that my SATA drive runs slower in AUTO mode then it did when
    configured in MANUAL mode as SATA-0.

    Thanks for any help.

    -Randy

    RJGraham, Nov 6, 2003

  2. RJGraham

    Udo Kammer Guest

    I'm now running with SATA in AUTO mode which maps SATA-0 to IDE-0 .
    Have you tried, what happened, when you connect the Ultra ATA-HDs to
    secondary master and slave.

    Udo Kammer

    Udo Kammer, Nov 6, 2003

  3. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    My main problem is that I can't figure out how to get the bios to boot from
    my SATA drive.

    RJGraham, Nov 7, 2003
  4. RJGraham

    Udo Kammer Guest

    My main problem is that I can't figure out how to get the bios to boot from
    I am using the GA-8IPE1000 Pro and GA-IPE1000L. "On-chip SATA" is set
    to Auto and "SATA Port0 Configure as" and "SATA Port1 Configure as"
    are set to the Default values. It's called "Native mode", which only
    can be used with XP. There is no possibility to select in the BIOS to
    boot from SATA. It runs automatic using XP. With other OS you have to
    remap the SATA Ports t to Ultra ATA.

    If it will not run with XP, you may call the Gigabyte support for a
    new BIOS. I had the same problem with the GA-8IPE1000 Pro and after
    installing the new BIOS F7 I can use the SATA Ports without any
    problems.

    Udo Kammer

    Udo Kammer, Nov 7, 2003
  5. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    Thanks Udo.

    But my understanding is that if "On-chip SATA" is set to AUTO mode then SATA
    will automatically map to IDE 0.

    I was able to get my machine to boot from SATA-0 and have my IDE drives
    visible on IDE-0.

    The SATA drive performance was very good.

    But since 'losing' this setup after a reboot, I can now only boot from
    SATA-0 in Auto mode, which maps the drive to IDE-0. The performance of my
    drive in AUTO mode does not seem as good.

    I already have 2 CD Drives on IDE-1.

    -Randy

    RJGraham, Nov 7, 2003
  6. RJGraham

    RJGraham Guest

    Ok, I have it all working now.

    I can boot from my SATA drive as SATA-0 and access my 2nd and 3rd IDE drives
    plugged into IDE-0.

    The relevant bios settings are:

    On chip SATA: Manual
    First SATA drive is SATA-0
    RAID: disabled

    Then, for 1st, 2nd, 3rd boot devices I make select CDROM, CDROM, CDROM, ie,
    make sure SCSI and /or HDD are not selected as a boot devices.

    -Randy

    RJGraham, Nov 10, 2003