    recorded.

    Anyone one else suffering problems with this combination?

    Pete

    Pete, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Pete

    John Guest

    | I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.
    |
    | I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
    | (unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.
    |
    | The nearest I have got is to stop Unimodem reporting itself as 'not
    | working properly' but to get that I had to uninstall all the other
    | wave drivers including the onboard sound and hang them whilst I
    | installed the modem first.
    |
    | Even then I only get sound out from the modems but no incoming is
    | recorded.
    |
    | Anyone one else suffering problems with this combination?
    |
    | Pete

    This may not be related. Way back I installed Windows 2000 on my 8K7A+. It
    was a disaster. All kinds of conflicts and hangups. I went back to WinMe and
    more recently Windows XP. both of which worked normally. I do not do
    anything adventurous on that machine these days and XP has been
    exceptionally stable.

    Recently I got a new Gigabyte motherboard in another system and tried Win 2K
    again. I have updated it to SP4 and it has been very satisfactory, well
    within the normal Windows limits for reliability. This is the machine on
    which I experiment and do adventurous things, so Win2K has really been doing
    very well. The only ongoing problem is with Windows explorer which reports
    errors and closes when I move or copy files.
    John

    John, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Hi John,
    I think it is related. I am fairly sure now that the onboard sound is
    having a significant impact on my ability to install Unimodem \ wave
    drivers.

    How to resolve this without doing as you did (revert or upgrade) is
    beyond me at the moment :eek:(

    Thanks for info as I was thinking about trying XP.

    regards

    Pete

    Pete, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Pete

    John Guest

    | On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:12:54 GMT, "John" <>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >| I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.
    | >|
    | >| I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
    | >| (unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.
    |
    | Hi John,
    |
    | >This may not be related. Way back I installed Windows 2000 on my 8K7A+.
    It
    | >was a disaster. All kinds of conflicts and hangups. I went back to WinMe
    and
    | >more recently Windows XP. both of which worked normally. I do not do
    | >anything adventurous on that machine these days and XP has been
    | >exceptionally stable.
    |
    | I think it is related. I am fairly sure now that the onboard sound is
    | having a significant impact on my ability to install Unimodem \ wave
    | drivers.
    |
    | How to resolve this without doing as you did (revert or upgrade) is
    | beyond me at the moment :eek:(
    |
    | Thanks for info as I was thinking about trying XP.
    |

    | regards
    |

    | Pete

    Hi Pete,

    While I say I do not do adventurous things on the epox machine, it is in use
    12 hours a day running business apps. I had an early glitch with XP
    requiring reinstall. Since then it just works. That must be about 18 months
    which is a record for me using Windows. Win 2K has some failings in the way
    it implements extended interrupts which are documented on the MS Knowledge
    base. That could well be the source of your problem. The nForce chipset on
    the Gigabyte board must do it differently and Win 2K can handle it.
    Good Luck
    John.

    John, Jul 27, 2004