    in the system or not compatible with the motherboard?

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks!

    BRH, Aug 20, 2007

  2. BRH

    Paul Guest

    According to the web page here, the maximum memory chip density supported
    by KT266A is 256Megabits. An example would be a 32Mx8 memory chip, which has
    a total of 256 megabits of memory. If you use that chip type, and use (16)
    of them, you get a 16x32MB = 512MB memory DIMM.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=29F85F3AA5CA7304

    Check the module. Does it have 16 chips ? If it does, then it should work.
    (If the module has 8 chips and claims a total capacity of 512MB, then the
    chip density is too high. Some memory may still be detected, but the module
    may not give you your money's worth in that case.)

    Also, try just the new module, by itself.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 20, 2007

  3. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Paul,

    I've tried the new module by itself in Slot 1, and it works (512M).
    However, when I put my existing RAM into Slots 2, or Slots 2 and 3, only
    the RAM in Slot 2 is recognized, for a total of 512M again.

    I can't check the number of chips on the module until I turn the PC off.
    I'll get back to you on that, but I think it had the same number as my
    original RAM.

    One other thing -- When I check the system using SiSandra, it shows
    Maximum Installable Ram as 1024 Megs. That makes me think that there's
    some setting (mobo jumper of CMOS setting?) that I need to adjust.

    Any thoughts on that?

    Thanks again,
    Bert

    BRH, Aug 20, 2007
  4. BRH

    BRH Guest

    I just checked. All 3 sticks have only 8 chips each! Even the 2 that
    I've had in thee for the past year or so.

    Is there any way to get these to work together to max out the mobo's
    RAM? I don't want to swap all 3 out for 16 chip sticks, when these each
    work by themselves.....

    Bert

    BRH, Aug 20, 2007
  5. BRH

    Paul Guest

    Something is not adding up here. Are you certain the existing sticks are
    512MB each ? The reason I asked about the possibility of single sided 512MB
    memory, is because Crucial has been shipping some of those for the last
    several months. If you had some older product, it is a bit more unlikely
    to be the single sided 512MB variety. It is only recently that it
    would make economic sense, for anyone to ship the higher density 64Mx8 chips
    in a product like that. Some people have received the 512MB sticks with
    8 chips, and couldn't figure out what was going on (they were trying to do
    dual channel, with one 16 chip and one 8 chip DIMM). Many motherboards
    can handle 64Mx8 chips, so not everyone is going to have a problem with
    them.

    I cannot get the manual off the Epox site right now, to see if it contains
    any words of wisdom. (Presumably the FTP site is overloaded.)

    http://www.epox.com/USA/article.asp?ID=1184
    ftp://ftp.epox.com/downloads/Manual/mu-8kha&8kha+12.pdf

    I downloaded an Asus A7V266-E motherboard manual, which also uses a KT266A
    chipset. Now, it has listed that slots can take up to 1GB DIMMs each,
    which suggests the other info is wrong.

    The description on the VIA site, also suggests it is not limited to 512MB.

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/legacy/kt266a/

    So scratch that 8 chip suggestion. It looks like the info on the
    Crucial site is old, and may have been provided by Epox. When the
    same chipset is used on two boards, the memory capabilities should
    be the same as well. Only a poorly written BIOS could hold it back.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=EP-8KHA+

    # Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
    # Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
    # Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
    # Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
    # Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 1536MB
    # Max Component Density: 256Mb
    # 184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
    # Graphics Support: AGP 4X
    # USB Support: 1.x Compliant

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=A7V266-E

    # Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
    # Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
    # Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
    # Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
    # Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
    # Max Component Density: 512Mb
    # 184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
    # Graphics Support: AGP 4X
    # USB Support: 1.x Compliant

    Also, as far as I know, VIA chipsets have plenty of bank control
    signals, meaning there are no compromises on how the slots are
    wired. Each slot should be able to support a double sided DIMM.
    In any combination, at least according to the Asus manual.

    With your two original sticks, the 2x512MB you already owned,
    you were seeing 1GB total ? And if those DIMMs were placed
    in slot 1 and slot 3, it still read out as 1GB ? It should
    have, as the slots are all equal as far as properties go on
    a VIA chipset.

    If the new stick reads out as 512MB and passes a memory test
    program like memtest86+, you cannot blame the DIMM for being
    defective. If anything, it could be a BIOS issue. Or some
    kind of hardware failure in one of the slots (like a bent pin
    or something).

    Another remote possibility, is your existing memory is
    "registered" ? I believe I've run into one user, who got
    registered memory to run on VIA chipsets like that one.
    This is what a registered DDR DIMM looks like. You
    cannot mix registered and unbuffered memory on the
    same bus, and the BIOS would normally beep the computer
    speaker, if such a configuration was detected.

    http://www.memory-up.com/MfdImages/MemoryImages/M-XXXER.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 21, 2007
  6. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Yes -- Absolutely certain.

    The reason I asked about the possibility of single sided 512MB
    My original RAM was purchased well over a year ago.
    Are saying that there may be a CMOS adjustment to make this work?
    Yes. Absolutely.
    And if those DIMMs were placed
    Not sure - Haven't tried this yet.
    Hmmm, I hope that Slot 3 is good. I'll have to try putting my original
    RAM in Slots 1 and 3 and report back.
    You may have hit on somthing there.
    My original RAM = Crucial 512Mb DDR 400 CL3 (2 of these)
    The RAM I just bought: Crucial 512 Mb DDR PC2700 CL2.5

    This info is from what's printed on the stickers.

    Thanks again!

    BRH, Aug 21, 2007
  7. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Paul,

    I tried my original RAM in slots 1 and 3 and they worked fine. Then,
    just for the hell of it, I put the new RAM into Slot 2 and - Voila - all
    3 memory modules are finally detected.

    Perhaps they weren't seated properly before. (But I was sure that they
    were....)

    Well, everything seems to be working now.

    Thanks again for all of your help!

    BRH, Aug 21, 2007
  8. Just curious, what OS are you running and did you notice any diff from the
    extra 512MB?

    Lee MacMillan, Aug 22, 2007
  9. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Running WinXP Pro SP2. I haven't really noticed any speed difference.

    BRH, Aug 22, 2007