8KNXP and Zalman CNPS7000-Cu

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bob Davis, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Bob Davis

    Bob Davis Guest

    I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu yesterday. The good news is that it
    is very quiet and cools well even in silent mode. The bad news is that it
    did not fit my mobo with DPS2 installed, despite indications from others
    that it would fit. I'd say it needs to be at least 1/8" smaller in diameter
    to clear when the DPS2 is installed. No big loss since I'm not
    overclocking, as I probably am better off without it (less noise from the
    fan and less heat generated, though probably minimal).

    It does clear the RAM stick in the first slot of bank 1, but I'm not sure I
    could remove the stick without first removing or at least moving the Zalman,
    not that I would likely need to ever remove that stick. This HSF is *heavy*
    (>700g), and it was a surprise when I first picked it up. I can see why
    they warn not to use it in systems that are moved. A part aluminum unit is
    available (7000-AlCu) that weighs almost half as much, but doesn't provide
    the same level of cooling.

    In silent mode the 92mm fan runs at a slow 1350 rpm, but I bumped mine to
    1900 and didn't notice any meaningful noise increase. Temps are running
    about 3°C cooler than the standard P4 HSF when idling, and more when
    stressed. I was having some trouble with temps climbing into the mid-60's
    when running DOS apps (Foxpro or Norton Ghost), but haven't seen anywhere
    near these temps since the change, no higher than 50°C yet. That is the
    main reason I bought it, so I guess I would label the effort an overall
    success.

    Bob Davis, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Bob Davis

    Axl Guest

    You can always remove the fan from the DPS and run it without it. I think
    the airflow from the Zalman should provide enough cooling on the DPS.

    Axl, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Bob Davis

    Bob Davis Guest

    That's an excellent point that I had not considered. But I wonder if I
    really need the DPS2, as it seems just as stable now as before. I am not
    overclocking, so what's your opinion? I've heard DPS2 is of dubious value
    anyway, and has some negative side effects, like generating more heat and
    noise.

    Bob Davis, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Bob Davis

    Boudewijn Guest

    Hello,
    You do not really need the DPS2, but if you want to use it, you can indeed
    install it with the fan removed (otherwise it won't fit with the Zalman).
    The DPS really doesn't need a separate fan. I've never noticed any
    difference with or without the DPS. In my view, it's more a marketing thing
    from Gigabyte. And since you want to have a quiet pc anyway, one more tip.
    Remove the metal (gigabyte - advertising) piece from the fan of the
    northbridge. It makes the fan a bit more quiet, as it resonates less.
    Good luck.
    Boudewijn

    Boudewijn, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Bob Davis

    Bob Davis Guest

    Someone else suggested this, but I don't plan on returning the DPS2 to
    service unless someone convinces me it will do something constructive, which
    to date no one has.

    I'll try that. In a very scientific decibel test (12" cutting of a garden
    hose placed to my ear), the huge Zalman running at 1900 rpm (about half-way
    between lowest and highest speed) was considerably quieter than the tiny
    Northbridge fan.

    A friend mentioned the availability of sound-deadening material that can be
    placed inside the case. I will look into this also, though this case is not
    especially noisy by my standards, even with nine fans running (3 case, 2
    PSU, 1 NB, 1 CPU, 1 CD-RW, 1 mobil rack).

    Bob Davis, Jul 26, 2003
  6. Bob Davis

    Axl Guest

    I'm not using the DPS right now and the system works as good as without.
    Gigabyte claims that it makes the components last longer. I don't know about
    this since the DPS is a recent invention and it hasn't been in test for a
    longer period. You can always keep your DPS unplugged and plug it in if the
    on-board power supply is failing.

    Axl, Jul 26, 2003