    I also imagine it would be better because it wont be using the cpu's
    power to run. Thanks

    -Josh

    Josh Palmer, Oct 17, 2003

  2. You never use onboard sound, use the card you have or upgrade to an Audigy
    2. Most of the "tech-heads" have one.

    Richard Dower, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Josh Palmer

    Mr E Guest

    On board sound gives you sound. Audigy gives you good sound. Definitely
    worth disabling on-board sound in the bios, and getting a good sound card.

    Take care,

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Why not just start with the on-board sound. Don't discount it too much, It's
    actually pretty good, supports 5.1 speakers, etc...

    If after a while you don't think it's good enough, THEN go with the Audigy.

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Audigy.

    With the system specs you have i am surprised you would offer this advice.
    How much money did you spend on the PC you built?

    Richard Dower, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Why are you surprised?

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Josh Palmer

    mark7dc Guest

    I purposely went with the 8KNXP to avoid the requirement to purchase a separate
    audio card. After fighting a Philips Seismic Edge for several years in Win98, I
    found that XP couldn't load drivers for the Philips. I also remember reading
    about
    a lot of problems others were having with other makes of sound cards. Now, I am
    very pleased with the onboard sound and the extra PCI slot that it frees up. Of
    course my ears may not be too discriminating after flying jet fighters for 25
    years.

    mark7dc, Oct 18, 2003
  8. For the thousands you spent with your 3.2GHz CPU and 2 gigs of memory,
    9800Pro and SATA Raptors etc., seems strange you would recomend on-board
    sound.

    Richard Dower, Oct 18, 2003
  9. You can't compare the onboard sound to that of an Audigy 2 card. It also
    reserves more system resources by have a separte PCI audio card.

    Richard Dower, Oct 18, 2003
  10. Josh Palmer

    Allen Guest

    would a Turtle Beach Sant Cruz Card be better than the onboard?

    Allen, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Yes...a pretty good card. The new audio codecs are getting better and better
    sound, no question...but a proper PCI audio card will always be the
    tech-head weapon of choice.

    Richard Dower, Oct 18, 2003
  12. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    Is there a really big diffrence?
    This is a bit new subject to me.
    Any links?
    If you use digital out, the only thing audio chip does is possible
    sample rate converting.
    So what if that takes 1% of cpu power?
    Does Audigy make this conversion really notable better than eg. ALC650?

    --
    ___ / ` . Selkämerenkatu 18 A 11
    _ _/______ | ` ` . ten.epa FIN-00180 Helsinki Finl

    Toke Lahti, Oct 18, 2003
  13. Actually, yes I have an Audigy 2 Platinum, but my point to others, is to try
    the on-board sound for themselves. On-board sound controllers have come a
    long way in the last year or two, and there's a good chance that the
    on-board sound on the GA-8KNXP may be just fine for some people.

    Don't discount the on-board sound as second-rate automatically just because
    it's built into the motherboard. Try it first then decide whether to buy a
    seperate sound card.

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 19, 2003
  14. My point is you discounted it, as did i, and went straight to an Audigy 2.

    Richard Dower, Oct 19, 2003
  15. Actually I used the on-board sound for a month or two, and was impressed
    with it.

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 19, 2003
  16. Josh Palmer

    Mr E Guest

    I'd say yes, but you can do even better today.

    I'd agree with others' comments in this thread. I previously owned a Turtle
    beach Santa Cruz. In its day (3 years ago) it was excellent - very low noise
    and good quality sound. Things have moved on a bit, and I find the Audigy 2
    better. The Audigy 2 platinum is (according to reviews - I don't own one)
    better still - giving you ASIO sound with good (low) latency. (The Audigy 2
    has ASIO but less good latency).

    I had some problems with the on-board sound - it is true that it works and
    is adequate if sound is not your priority. Certainly good enough for games
    and mp3 playback etc. I had problems getting both the rear and front
    speakers working correctly with 5.1. This was no problem at all with the
    Audigy (or for that matter with the Santa Cruz).

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 19, 2003
  17. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    I still don't understand this conversation.
    If sound is really a priority, then only solution is to use real hifi
    amplifier and loudspeakers and the most logical way to get the sound
    to the amplifier is through spdif.
    Is there really diffrences between these cards when using spdif?

    Toke Lahti, Oct 19, 2003
  18. Josh Palmer

    Allen Guest

    I wanted an Audigy 2 Platinum but there was a Fatwallet deal 3 weeks
    ago and only had to pay $4.00 for the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz at
    Circuit City after rebate.

    Allen, Oct 19, 2003
  19. Josh Palmer

    Mr E Guest

    This is fine if you have digital music. If you want to record actual music,
    you need to digitise it first. The cards give better results. Of course you
    are right that good amplifiers and speakers are needed to make the most of
    the sound output.

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 19, 2003
  20. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    Yep, but same goes when digitizing analog audio:
    I'll get it with spdif-in...

    Toke Lahti, Oct 21, 2003