    playing a trumpet) you need to first convert it to digital before you can
    use spdif. No?

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    Of course and I let my hifi amplifier do the ad-conversion, so there is
    no pc electronics interference messing up the analog sound...

    --
    ___ / ` . Selkämerenkatu 18 A 11
    _ _/______ | ` ` . ten.epa FIN-00180 Helsinki Finl

    Toke Lahti, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Josh Palmer

    Mr E Guest

    OK, so you are using the amplifier for input and output so you don't need
    the pc at all.

    But the O.P. was planning to use his pc for sound (for whatever purpose) and
    wanted to
    know whether the on-board solution was as good as a sound card and the
    answer is that
    it isn't.

    I'm sure you are right that if you want the best possible sound then you are
    better off using
    high end digital amplifiers with a DAC front end etc. together with a proper
    digital studio mixer, however
    I guess we are now into the really big cash league.

    Take care,

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    Pc is used for recording and playback. What's new?
    And I'm saying that best way to use pc with on-board or card sound is with
    spdif in and out. Many of us have mini discs and cd-rw-decks and that sort
    of staff that can handle ad- and da-conversion much better than any sound
    card in consumer price range. Even many dvd players have karaoke functions
    with mic-plugs and spdif-out.
    Well, I'm not so sure are these amplifiers with digital in and out so rare
    and expensive. Most of home theater amplifiers have these connections.
    I've had my pre-amp since -91 with digital input and output.

    t-)

    Toke Lahti, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Josh Palmer

    Mr E Guest

    O.K. Toke, thanks for your insights. I have learned quite a bit from this
    conversation.

    John.

    Mr E, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Josh Palmer

    BOFH Guest

    I have to agree with Timothy here. It all depends on your purpose of the
    8KNXP. I use mine mainly for video editing. I use the onboard sound because
    all I need to know is if the sound is clear or not and synced with the
    video. This hardly calls for the quality of an Audigy type board. However,
    in my soundroom, I have an Audigy 2 Platinum where I can appreciate the
    greater quality.

    BOFH

    BOFH, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Josh Palmer

    BOFH Guest

    The Audigy 2 is like the cadillac of audio cards. If you have the bucks, it
    is the one to get, unless you are shooting for more esoteric and more
    expensive cards. The Audigy has many built in decoders that your typical
    onboard sound chip does not provide. In fact, the Audigy is one of the few
    audio cards I have seen which will accomodate the new DVD-Audio format.

    BOFH, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Josh Palmer

    BOFH Guest

    This is not necessarily so. A lot of mainstream mid-fi amps and receivers
    are starting to include digital connections. If one is in the market for a
    new receiver, it is easier to get one WITH digital connections than one
    without.

    BOFH, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Josh Palmer

    Toke Lahti Guest

    Btw, does audigy2 output digital audio in its native sampling frequency
    (32,44.1,48,192kHz)?
    How about recording through digital input?
    If not, has the conversion very good quality?

    Toke Lahti, Oct 22, 2003