    SCSI, and now, I have no access to dual Bios : pressing F8 in setup brings
    me to black screen an floppy light on... Is there anyone with the same
    problem ?

    Aleph, Jul 21, 2003

  2. lol..is this motherboard hexed?, even more problems with this then with the
    8INXP. Even though i personally have had zero problems myself.

    Think i will wait now to see what comes out in 2004.
    :)

    Richard Dower, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Aleph

    Bob Davis Guest

    Ha! Mine is stable as Gibraltar with F5, too, and damn if I feel like
    fixing it if it ain't broke. I'm even afraid to upgrade from 1-2gb of RAM.
    When CPU fan speed monitoring is on in the bios I get some occasional
    beeping, but I disabled it--and that's the only glitch so far in six weeks.
    (Knocking firmly on wood.)

    Bob Davis, Jul 24, 2003
  4. I'm running Bios F5, and the system is stable as a rock with a 3.2Ghz and
    2gig of ram, two WD Raptors in a RAID 0 , GeforceFX5900-Ultra, etc...

    I get nervous about running a beta BIOS, so I'll leave it as it is.

    I see that there is an 'official' updateed bios (F6f I think) on Gigabytes
    web site, but it's for the GA-KNXP-Ultra not the standard board.

    Timothy Drouillard, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Started by ordering the MB, CPU, 1gig ram and a copy of WinXP Pro from the
    local computer shop.
    When I stooped in to pick the stuff up, i decided to add the second 1gig of
    ram as well as the two Raptor HD's.

    The shop made sure all four pieces of ram were from the same lot, and they
    installed the ram and the cpu right there so they could fire up the MB to
    insure it all worked. The ram is generic DDR400 ram, but it works just fine.

    As the shop tech was firing up the MB, he mentioned to me that the MB would
    only support mem in the dual-channel mode if I used only two sticks of ram.
    If I used all four sticks, it would revert to single-channel use. I didn't
    say anything, I just let the tech do his thing and took the parts home.

    Of course he was mistaken. As long as you use mathed (same size) pairs of
    ram, either one pair, two pairs or three pairs, it will run in dual-channel
    mode.

    I was somewhat tempted to go back to the shop and buy another pair of 512meg
    sticks to fill up all six slots, but so far I've resisted the temtation.

    They did ask me what I was going to use the system for, that I needed 2gig
    of ram to run.

    Solitaire..of course...

    The only time I had a problem was when I started experimenting with settings
    in the BIOS (F5). I saw where you could check 'max performance' or something
    like that and tried it.

    All I got was a black screen and a constant beeping. Removed the Cmos
    battery for a few min, fired it back up and chose the default settings, and
    it's been running great ever since.

    Timothy Drouillard, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Aleph

    Bob Davis Guest

    fine.

    I don't know if my present two are from the same lot, but probably are.
    Buying two more will insure the second pair will not, more than likely, two
    months after the initial purchase. It may not matter as long as each pair
    is matched.

    ....and are placed in the right slots (1&4, 2&5, and 3&6).

    The "top performance" option sets RAM timing (maybe other things) to much
    more aggressive settings. I tried setting from the default (SPL) of 3-3-3-8
    to 2.5-3-3-7 and it seemed to run okay, but RAM performance was only 3%
    improved, so I set it back to the default. I need stability over
    performance here and would rather not take any chances for such a small
    performance increase, which probably would not be even noticed.

    Bob Davis, Jul 24, 2003