    disabled. Bottorder1. floppy, 2. cdrom, 3 HDD-0. There seems to be no
    SATA in the bootorder, not even a SATA-RAID or PATA-Raid. Any ideas?
    TIA - Klaus

    klausa2, Sep 9, 2003

  2. klausa2

    Michael Len Guest

    Try setting "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master. I find that
    if it is set to SATA Port0 my SATA HD does not get detected.

    Michael Len, Sep 10, 2003

  3. klausa2

    David D. Guest

    The 8KNXP seems quite quirky to set up if you want to boot off the
    SATA and also have drives plugged into IDE1. The solution saying to
    set "SATA Port0 Configure as" to IDE Pri. Master might work, but you
    will run into problems if you then actually want to use the Primary
    IDE connector later. One thing you are going to need to do is set
    "SATA RAID Function" to Enabled (even if you're not doing RAID). I've
    also found that until Windows has the SATA drivers installed in
    Windows, it won't boot off an SATA drive unless you have nothing
    plugged into IDE1. I just went through this last night so maybe some
    of this will help. Note: I don't use RAID at all.

    Drives in my system:
    200GB SATA drive in SATA channel 1 (Boot drive)
    80GB PATA drive in IDE1 Master
    40GB PATA drive in IDE1 Slave
    DVD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Master
    CD ATAPI drive in IDE2 Slave
    18 GB PATA drive in IDE3 Master
    Zip PATA drive in IDE4 Master

    BIOS: (F6)
    On-Chip Primary PCI IDE = Enabled
    On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE = Enabled
    On-Chip SATA = Manual
    SATA Port0 Configure as = SATA Port0
    SATA RAID Function = Enabled
    Onboard H/W SATA = Enabled
    Serial ATA function = Base
    GigaRaid Function = ATA

    Notes:
    * While installing windows XP, I must unplug the IDE1 cable otherwise
    the SATA drive will not be seen. This is true even if I install the
    ICH drivers off a floppy using F6 during install, and even though the
    BIOS reports all the drives just fine. After Windows is installed and
    the drivers installed off the Gigabyte CD, I can then plug IDE1 back
    in and everything is just hunky-dory.

    Dave

    David D., Sep 10, 2003
  4. klausa2

    Taliska Guest

    Yep, the secret is to enable the SATA RAID, then you can choose it in the
    boot order.

    I installed the O/S with the SATA drivers loaded in the install process - I
    don't know if you can add them in later - you probably can.

    Remapping the SATA to be a PATA is not the best idea as you lose
    connectivity for 2 PATA drives.

    I have 2 120G SATA drives, 1 DVD on IDE0, 1 CD on IDE1 and an old 40G drive
    on the ITE IDE ports. I found it was most reliable if all RAIDs were
    enabled, then set SATA RAID to boot first.

    I've got F5 BIOS - haven't yet dared to upgrade to F6 - machine boots
    correctly 95% of the time.

    Taliska

    Taliska, Sep 10, 2003
  5. klausa2

    klausa2 Guest

    Thanks. Very good advice. I can boot now. - Klaus

    klausa2, Sep 12, 2003
  6. klausa2

    Tim Guest

    Thanks from me too - this had been bugging me for some time.

    BTW: bios f6 does seem good. This news group has gone silent about many
    issues on 8knxp since it was released.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 12, 2003
  7. klausa2

    Martin Nike Guest

    I have a PATA drive connected to IDE0 master, and one SATA connected
    I have 1 SATA drive (Set up as SATA0), and Four PATA on the GigaRAiD channel
    plus 3 CD/DVD devices on the normal IDE.

    I eventually got it to boot by using the SATAA connectors (The hot pluggable
    ones) and removing SCSI from the boot option. I also had to install drivers
    for the SATA while it was being used as "IDE3" initially - however I set the
    assignment back to AUTO afterwards.

    ..

    Martin Nike, Sep 13, 2003