    Is the difference in performance between a correctly installed SATA
    drive and the same drive remapped as PATA significant enough to bother
    starting from 0?

    Azania, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Azania

    Lone VVolf Guest

    Azania,

    I have the same problem. :) The descriptions of how to set up real S-ATA
    on these motherboards is confusing, to say the least. Now that I understand
    it, I also started wondering if this mapping mode was slower than normal
    S-ATA. I couldn't find an answer on the web, so I did some of my own
    research (also leading me to this post).

    My Maxtor drive is reviewed on www.tomshardware.com, with full benchmarks
    posted. I simply downloaded the ZD Winbench 99 and ran my own test to
    compare. The mapped mode is, in fact, about HALF the performance of what my
    drive was rated at on Tom's Hardware (for the high-end business performance
    test). No way am I leaving it like that.

    I tried booting from the drive correctly configured (S-ATA Port 0, S-ATA
    controller enabled in BASE mode) and the system simply reboots at the WinXP
    startup screen. I assume it can't find the controller, etc. No big
    surprise.

    To work around it, I plan on using Partition Magic to move my current stuff
    to a second small partition (just large enough to fit it), create a new
    primary, and boot up correctly when installing Windows to the new partition.
    Afterwards, I hope to remerge the two partitions, if the newest version of
    PM allows this (I don't remember, as I haven't used it in a long time).

    Lone VVolf, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Azania

    Lone VVolf Guest

    Well, it seems to have worked just fine. Except that the old partition is
    no longer readable. :S I'll have to reinstall ParitionMagic to see if it
    can recover it...Windows just says it's an unknown partition type. I'm sure
    it won't be a problem to fix. (crosses fingers).

    Regarding the performance increase, I am seeing about a 25% increase in
    performance using the Intel SATA controller, along with the Intel
    Application Accelerator. So basically, it's up to you if it's worth it or
    not.

    Lone VVolf, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Azania

    Azania Guest

    Lone VVolf,

    I really appreciate your posts. I hadn't though about doing it with
    PartitionMagic. I sure hope you manage to recover the old partition. I
    don't know anything really about the technical aspects of SATA vs PATA
    drives but could it be that one a SATA drive when partitioned whilst
    operating as a 'pseudo-PATA' cannot be read once it operates in its
    native mode? If that is the case you could probably make the old
    partition readable again only by going back to remapping it as a PATA?

    At any rate even a 25% increase is respectable and, come to think
    about it, there's not much point in using new technology masquerading
    as old. Anyway good luck! In the meantime I'll be immersing myself in
    the PartitionMagic manual - my drive is currently partitioned into six
    with one unit unformatted set aside for Linux...

    Azania, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Azania

    Lone VVolf Guest

    Yeah, it worked out fine. After splitting them, I had to reinstall PM, and
    simply mark the old partition as no longer hidden. Then it showed up just
    fine.
    Also, I miscalculated. It's a 50% increease in speed. Enjoy!

    Lone VVolf, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Azania

    Michael Len Guest

    Lone Wolf I find this very interesting however I do not understand what
    you did. I gather that your primary partition is mapped to "IDE Pri.
    Master" and "SATA RAID Function" disabled. Then you remapped your
    second partition? Would you mind explaining how you did that?
    TIA, Michael

    Michael Len, Oct 5, 2003