    sound Muted. Anyone with this board, Rev 1, have this problem? It's
    something new, I've had lots of successful formats and reinstalls before
    without this problem, but now it's there even after a fresh installation.

    Methus, May 22, 2004

  2. Methus

    Ken Oaf Guest

    This is common with many computers. Turn the speakers off before you shut down.

    Ken Oaf, May 23, 2004

  3. Methus

    Methus Guest

    Thanks, it's becoming so irritating I've been doing that. I wonder what
    causes it...it's like some component is discharging current thru the AC97
    sound chip. It never did this for about 10 months, now it does it every
    shutdown, even if the AC97 is deactivated in BIOS or the sound is muted.
    I gotta find the cause :-(

    Methus, May 23, 2004
  4. Methus

    Methus Guest

    I found that sucker, not she's quiet as a church mouse when it shutsdown.

    Methus, May 23, 2004
  5. Methus

    Methus Guest

    It was a 120mm case fan, probably causing all that noise due to
    back emf. Unplugged that sucker and life is good again.

    Methus, May 23, 2004
  6. Methus

    Bob Davis Guest

    Mine does this too. I'm not even sure it does it every time, as I tune it
    out and accept it as a, er, feature.

    Bob Davis, May 26, 2004
  7. interesting... to say the least...I have a guess to the cause since you
    mention the fan. Could it be acting as a generator feeding power into the
    board backwards... a simple test will tell. put a couple of diodes in the
    line so that the power can only run one way and if the sound goes away...
    there is your answer... BTW FYI, my 8037 chip does the same thing when I
    shut down via the power button on an KK266 IWILL board.

    K.K.

    Kaptain Krunch, Jun 2, 2004
  8. Methus

    Methus Guest

    Thanks Kap'n,
    I spoke to soon. Unplugging that fan stopped it only temporarily. The
    noise is back, but it is very much dependent upon how long the PC is on.
    If it's on for hours, the noise (sounds like tearing cloth right by a sensitive
    microphone) always occurs. It it's only for about a half hour or less, no
    noise. What's the 8037 chip? Maybe that will give me a clue on my mobo.

    Methus, Jun 2, 2004