    Changing the boot order around seems to do nothing says the sam
    thing no matter what, need help about to rip my hair out. has
    sempron 3300 chip, does this board need a 64 bit operating system

    vtowntommy, Aug 14, 2006

  2. vtowntommy

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tommy.

    HOW are you trying to install Windows?

    Are you booting from the WinXP CD-ROM? After the first phase of Setup, the
    computer must boot from the HARD DRIVE for the first time. By this point,
    the HD must be connected (of course), the proper drivers must be in place,
    and the boot order in the BIOS must be set to boot from the HD. The HD need
    not be first, but any device (CD? floppy?) before the HD must be skipped
    somehow, such as by leaving the drive empty or its door open. (My 8KDA3+
    BIOS lets me press <Esc> during POST to bring up a boot device menu. From
    this, I can choose to boot from the CD for the present session ONLY; on the
    next reboot, it reverts to the BIOS setting for boot device. This comes in
    handy for jobs like installing WinXP so that I don't have to change the BIOS
    before and after the CD part of Setup. Does your 8KRAI BIOS have such a
    feature?)

    But I suspect that the actual problem is missing drivers. I'm not familiar
    with the 8KRAI and you've given us no clue as to how many HDs you have or
    what interface they use. Are they "plain vanilla" IDE/PATA drives? Or SCSI
    or SATA? Are you using any type of RAID? We can't see your computer, but
    if you'll tell us some of this information, we'll have a better chance of
    helping you.

    Drivers for plain IDE HDs are built into WinXP, and drivers for SOME other
    types are in there, too. But drivers for many kinds of HDs and RAID must be
    added during the early stages of WinXP Setup so that they will be in place
    and ready for use when WinXP tries for the first time to boot from the HD
    and continue to the GUI phase of Setup.

    To install such HD drivers, you must have them on a floppy diskette. Then
    boot from the CD and start Setup. Very early, as Setup is detecting your
    computer's hardware, it will flash a message on the bottom of the screen to
    "Press <F6> to install drivers for mass storage devices", or similar
    language. Press F6 now; the message will stay for a few seconds, but if you
    miss this chance, you'll have to reboot. Setup will continue as though
    nothing happened, loading all those hundreds of files. When it finally
    stops, there will be instructions for how to use that floppy to install your
    drivers. After that, Setup will continue and when it tries to reboot, your
    hard drive will be ready for it.
    I don't recall if the Sempron 3300 is 64-bit, but the answer is NO in any
    case. My AMD Athlon 64 3200+ is 64-bit, but I've installed both 32-bit and
    64-bit versions of WinXP and of the many successive builds of the Vista
    beta. A 64-bit CPU has no trouble installing and running a 32-bit operating
    system.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA [RC]
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (currently running Windows Mail 7 in Vista x64 Build 5472)

    R. C. White, Aug 14, 2006