8RDA+, reboots and BSOD's, over and over.

Discussion in 'Epox' started by DavidH, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. DavidH

    DavidH Guest

    My system:

    8RDA+, Rev 2.0, BIOS: 09/30/03
    Barton XP3000, 333FSB
    2 x 512Mb Crucial PC2700*
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    40Gb Seagate HDD*, NEC DVD +/- R/RW
    Enermax EG651 PSU (approx 550W)
    W2K, SP4
    BIOS set to 'Optimal'

    (* See below for updates)

    The problems:

    1. Regular BSOD's, either at boot up or whilst running. Various stop
    codes.
    2. Reboots. No warning, no BSOD, it just reboots!
    3. Prime 95 reports hardware failure (Well Duh!!!).

    Decided to change the RAM for Corsair XMS PC2700. No change. Replaced
    the HDD for an IBM Deskstar. No change. Heck, even replaced all
    HDD/FDD cables. No change.

    During installation of W2K on the IBM HDD, system would hang and/or
    BSOD. Tried to update BIOS to 3A17. Both floppies I tried with the new
    BIOS on were reported to have checksum errors. Nero can't even verify
    a new CD or DVD that's just been written. Lots of BSOD's and reboots
    seem to occur just as there is disk activity.

    Is it possible that the NForce on the board is faulty? I would have
    thought that if that were the case, the board wouldn't boot. If it
    were the CPU, wouldn't the board just lock-up, rather than BSOD?

    Your thoughts and expertise would be gratefully received, before I
    start spending more cash!

    Thank you.

    DavidH, Nov 17, 2003

  2. DavidH

    DaveL Guest

    How do the power supply voltages look?

    Dave

    DaveL, Nov 20, 2003

  3. DavidH

    Simon Guest

    Just some thoughts.

    1. Check the BIOS revision is up to date, and reflash if necessary

    2. Take out any video RAM shadowing in the BIOS

    3. Get a static strap, and remove one of the RAM modules.

    4. If you have a standard SVGA card, then swap it temporarily.

    5. Boot up and see what happens.

    6. If same BSODs etc, then swap the other RAM stick and try again.

    7. If none of this works, then I will work from there.

    Regards

    Simon

    Simon, Nov 27, 2003