939 or 754 socket cpu???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DDC, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. DDC

    DDC Guest

    Which one is the best one?

    I got this...
    AMD ATHLON64 3500+ (939 PINS) 364,00 $ cnd
    and
    ATHLON 64 3400+ (754 PINS) 1MB for 300$ cnd

    I would be tend to think that these two are clocked at the same speed
    (almost)... The only difference that i see is the socket. Is there one
    that as more feature?

    For now i'm one a socket a, a 2600 xp and i would like to move to one
    of these two. Also i've read that 3200xp compare to a 280064xp is
    almost the same thing in terme of speed??? It's less expensive and it
    would be maybe wiser for a gamer like me huhh huhh! ( i would
    overclock it to a 3400 ) But again it's the socket that i can't figure
    out...

    :-L

    I've base my compare with this little program : uamd.exe
    uAMDtool
    Universal AMD Tool v1.0

    DDC, Dec 25, 2004

  2. DDC

    Marcus Guest

    The 939 MB would prepare you for your upgrade to the FX chip when the prices
    come down.

    Marcus

    Marcus, Dec 25, 2004

  3. DDC

    Frank Guest

    939, nothing else, this is the upcoming future.

    Frank, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Both are fine cpus. Four A64 at around that speed grade exist:
    A64 3400+, 1MB, 2.2Ghz, s754 (130nm, clawhammer)
    A64 3400+, 512KB, 2.4Ghz, s754 (130nm, newcastle)
    A64 3500+, 512KB, 2.2Ghz, s939 (130nm, newcastle)
    A64 3500+, 512KB, 2.2Ghz, s939 (90nm, winchester)

    If you're going to get a socket 939 cpu, I would not recommend the older
    newcastle chip. Winchester is very slightly faster, runs quite a bit
    cooler (even the Newcastle is far easier to cool quietly than a P4
    prescott though) and is not really more expensive, so there is no point
    in getting the newcastle.
    The socket 939 cpu 3500+ rating is not really completely justified imho.
    There are quite a few cases where the 3400+ socket 754 cpu is faster
    (especially the 512KB 2.4Ghz version, which tends to be slightly faster
    than the 1MB 2.2Ghz version overall).
    However, socket 939 is clearly the more "future-proof" version. If
    you're going that route, I'd recommend a PCI-Express board to go along
    with it.

    Roland

    Roland Scheidegger, Dec 26, 2004
  5. DDC

    DDC Guest

    Thankx for the reply.

    Yep pci-e is imo a must with it's sli technologie also that it new and
    that it not a common tech, so for now pci-e video card are cheap. Ie:
    the fx6600 gt 128mb. + used in pair it would be nice to posses this.
    But for now ($$$) i think i will stick with my 9800pro from ati, it
    has done a pretty good job in hl2 ut2204demo and need for speed
    underground.

    DDC, Dec 26, 2004
  6. DDC

    gerry Guest

    I wouldn't worry too much about future proof, they are doing all they
    can to make everything obsolete as soon as possible. but....

    I'd probably recommend a 939 and a PCI express also. Went through the
    obsolete video card thing with the old local bus video a long time ago
    and it's ugly when you can't get a video card for your board any more.

    However, if you go low ball, you can get a pretty good motherboard
    cheap and update it in the future.

    I think it depends on your finances, but personally I wouldn't want to
    buy a $170 motherboard any more.

    My current motherboard is an Aopen AK86-L socket 754 and it's going
    for $64 at new egg. It won't overclock, but it's well made and rock
    solid. Being 64bit, it'll run linux for a long long time after you've
    upgraded your main box.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-137-042&depa=0

    gerry, Dec 26, 2004
  7. DDC

    Ed Guest

    If I was building today I'd try a 90nm (939) 3000+ or a 3500+.

    ..09 Athlon 64: Value, Speed and Overclocking
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242
    The 3500+ and the 3000+ (90nm) both topped out at about 2.6GHz with
    default or modestly increased CPU voltage and air cooling.

    Got a VNF3-250 here, stable up to 240MHz bus. $76 at newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-043&depa=0

    Happy Holidays,
    Ed
    --
    Chaintech VNF3-250 / BIOS 10-19-2004
    Athlon 64 3200+ (newcastle) / 2x512 Ballistix PC4000

    Ed, Dec 26, 2004
  8. DDC

    SSAS Guest

    The main difference of the two is Memory , 939 supports the dual
    channel DDR , but 754 only supports single channel.
    For K8's 800HTL , dual channel is the best choice , otherwise the
    memory will be the bottleneck .

    and now we r designin a new product with ATI RS480 for 939 ,
    waiting us ?^&^

    SSAS, Dec 27, 2004
  9. DDC

    Ron Joiner Guest

    Just bought an Athlon 3500+ S939, A8N-SLI, WinXP Pro, 1 Gig DDR400 ram,
    SATA-NCQ 120gig HDD, Winfast 6600GT PCIe, and Antec Sonata TruePower
    380. Runs great. Should keep me happy for a year or two and in 6 months
    I can throw in another 6600GT to keep up with the latest games.

    Ron

    Ron Joiner, Dec 28, 2004