9500 np Blank \ Black Screen

Discussion in 'ATI' started by I Decker, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    Hello All,

    I have just purchased a Grandmars ATI Powered RADEON 9500 128M DDR
    AGP DVI TVout Graphic card with the L Shape DDR Memory, Infineon 3.6ns

    I have installed this graphics card into my system and installed the
    latest cat3.6 drivers from ATI.

    The card seems to run fine and the machine boots into win 2k just
    fine. I can change the resolution and colour depth and everything
    seems ok. The problem is that when I run any software that required 3d
    processing the screen goes blank \ black and the machine will then not
    respond to anything. The only solution at this point is to restart the
    machine.

    The programs that this has happened in is 3dmark01 se (build 330),
    3dmark03 and deus ex. These are the only programs that I have at the
    moment as I have only had my pc a couple of days. 3dMark01 and deus ex
    both worked fine under direct x 8.1 using the onboard s3 adapter.

    The 3d mark programs do indeed load up the main menu screen ok, but
    lock up into a blank screen as soon as I hit Benchmark or demo. Deus
    ex locks up immediately.

    I've tried loads of different things, but nothing seems to make any
    difference.

    Please help

    My System (in brief)
    OS : Win 2k
    CPU : AthlonXP 2400+
    Mem : 256 Mb (pc2100 DDR)
    GCard : Grandmars ATI Powered RADEON 9500 128M DDR
    Mboard : ECS MICRO ATX BOARD

    I Decker

    I Decker, Aug 6, 2003

  2. I Decker

    BoroLad Guest

    HYB250128323C chips?, do all 4 pipelines open to make it a 9800?. What
    color Black /or/ Red is the PCB?
    Personally I use the 'Omega's', which provide all mods in the drivers,
    to include 'softmodding' to a 9800 by opening the x2 other pipelines!
    These drivers are 'gamers' not benchmarking drivers.
    GoTo: http://omegacorner.com/
    click on Radeon, click on 'my ati radeon help page' and read it
    click on Radeon, click on 'bios settings for video card' and read it

    DoNOT install the ATi Control Panel & DoNOT use 'fastwrites'
    Then get back if you need to, BoroLad

    BoroLad, Aug 6, 2003

  3. I Decker

    Kent_dieGo Guest

    You do have DirectX 9 installed? Run dxdaig. Be sure old video driver is not
    installing something by searching registry with regedit. A HIGH QUALITY
    power supply is a must. Some motherboards just do not work right with high
    power consumption card. Did you install latest BIOS for motherboard? On the
    computer I am typing on, Abit SR7-8X, my 9700 Pro worked fine for many
    months. Then the power supply went out and I replaced. From then on any 3D
    game would freeze after a few minutes. I assumed the 9700 Pro was damaged so
    I RMA'ed to ATI and got new card. With new card system would not POST but
    other cards worked fine. I tried card on two other systems and it worked
    fine. Replacement motherboard is due in two days.

    The morel of the story is keep replacing parts until works. See the forums
    at http://rage3d.com for a lot more advice. Post back when fixed.

    -Kent

    Kent_dieGo, Aug 6, 2003
  4. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    Hi guys, thanks for the answers
    The PCB is red, I bought this with the hope of doing a softmod upto a
    9700, but I can't even get it waorking as a normal 9500 np. Therefore
    I haven't even tried it on cracked drivers yet.
    I tried it with these drivers last night, but the card behaved exactly
    the same as it did with the cat 3.6 drivers.
    I've tried all variations of bios settings and I've uninstalled
    ATIControl Panel and disabled fastwrites, but still no joy.

    The card seems to work fine as a 2d card I can work in windows for
    ages and it seems stable. However as soon as I try and run any 3d
    programs, the card crashes instantly. I do not get to see and 3d
    graphics at all.

    I installed DirectX 9 when I installed the card. I've also tried
    upgrading to dx9b, again no joy. My powersupply is a 300w and the card
    is onits own power supply connection. I will follow the suggestions on
    the rage3d forums, but I'm just hoping that the card isn't faulty. I
    think I'll have to try it on a friends machine. The card just doesn't
    want to do any 3d processing.

    Thanks all, any more suggestions would be appreciated

    I Decker

    I Decker, Aug 7, 2003
  5. I Decker

    BoroLad Guest

    Most of all of the 'L' Red [9700 Reference ~ PCB's] were shut out about
    5 months ago under pressure from ATi. Any use of same was allowed only
    if the BIOS flash/softMOD was crippled.

    Check my posts from that time you will find that I have done x3
    different ManU over 6 different boards with only one fail ... it was if
    I recall correct the 'Connect3D' that failed. The 'GrandMars' were a
    good product.

    You can buy a 450W PSU with 'dirty power' that will not supply and I
    know of a few 300W [with 'clean power'] that will. I also recall a few
    old MOBO's that with or without a good PSU will not work with this AGP
    power requirement.

    The very very old machine I'm on at the moment KT7-Raid with a 450W
    £30UK PSU is running a 'GrandMars' Red 'L' as a ATi9800 with Omeaga
    drivers, and yes all 4 pipes are open.

    Unless you have a 'crippled' card I'm sure you can have a 9800, I'm away
    for the weekend but I'll get back ASP :-

    -what was your previous video card & precise ECS MOBO please.

    Come back Sun/Mon

    Anyothers wanna help .... please jump in!

    Borolad

    BoroLad, Aug 7, 2003
  6. I Decker

    Amir Facade Guest

    Got one like that back in February. Couldn't get it to do anything 3D. Not
    even the video tests in DXDiag. Everything locked up the computer. Had to
    send it back.

    : Hello All,
    :

    Amir Facade, Aug 8, 2003
  7. I Decker

    Zogg Guest

    I've just fixed the same apparent problem on my system. Everything
    would work until I ran some 3D graphics and the screen went blank.

    I fixed it by raising the CPU and IO voltages in the MB BIOS slightly.
    It may work for you but make sure you have a good heatsik on your CPU.
    Otherwise, try reducing the CPU speed. Are you overclocking the CPU or
    video card? If so, try things at their normal settings to get a
    reality check.

    Andy T.

    Zogg, Aug 8, 2003
  8. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    Hello,

    Thanks for your help. The old adapter was the on board s3 (I've only
    had the pc a couple of weeks).

    The next step I'm going to try are as follows

    1. flashing my mb bios.

    2. I may also try with another psu

    3. I'm going to try an older version of the cat drivers

    4. Then I'm going to try UNDER clocking the card.

    5. Finally it has been suggested that I try something open Gl instead
    of D3D.

    If non of this works I will try it in a friends machine. I will let
    you know how I get on. I'll probably not get chance to look at it
    until Sunday, so I'll post early next week.

    Cheers

    I Decker

    I Decker, Aug 8, 2003
  9. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    I've just fixed the same apparent problem on my system. Everything
    Cheers Andy, your the first person I've come across (trailing this and
    3drage forums) that has had the exact same problem as me.

    I'm not overclocking my pc or card. I planned to try and overclock my
    card, but I haven't been able to get it working at base speed yet. I'm
    not sure that my MB has these settings, but I'll check when I get home
    from work.

    I'll keep plugging away. I just hope its not a duff card.

    I Decker, Aug 8, 2003
  10. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    Hello All,

    I FIXED IT..

    I tried everything.

    I tried a different psu, this didn't fix it.
    I tried all different bios settings, this didn't fix it.
    I tried getting the latest MB drivers, this didn't fix it.
    I tried Underclocking the gpu and memory, this didn't fix it.
    I tried flashing the bios, this didn't fix it.

    Finally in desperation I went onto Omegacorner.com and clicked on
    'previous ATI Omega Drivers'. This took me onto driverheaven.net.

    I then downloaded the oldest drivers they had (for my os, win 2k).
    Which happened to be version rad_w2kxp_omega_2392 (ATI). I installed
    these drivers (clicking yes to overwrite newer files with olderones)
    and the card now seems to work perfectly (although I'll keep testing).
    My question is what version of the cat drivers do these omega drivers
    correspond too. Also when I ran these drivers I didn't get an option
    for hacked drivers, what is the alternative method for this.

    Anyway I'll keep testing and let you know what I find.

    What a relief though.

    Thank you to everybody for your help.

    I Decker

    I Decker, Aug 9, 2003
  11. I Decker

    patrickp Guest

    Try emailing omegadrive. ID, there'll be a contact address on the site. I
    was asking him about old drivers a while ago; they weren't available then,
    but he was very helpful.

    patrickp

    patrickp, Aug 9, 2003
  12. I Decker

    I Decker Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Ive done some more testing of the drivers and the results are below.

    I hope they will be of use to somebody, who is having the same
    problems as me with a similar setup.
    Using the following omega drivers

    version 2392
    worked but I did get some stuttering

    version 2407a
    worked but i got a small amount of arifacts

    varsion 2443
    worked perfectly no stuttering or artifacts

    version 2460
    worked perfectly no artifacts or stuttering (but a marginally better
    benchmark0

    version 2474a (based on cat3.6)
    no 3d graphic were displayed at all and nothing would make the card
    work

    Catalyst 3.6
    no 3d graphic were displayed at all and nothing would make the card
    work

    I also tried the hacked drivers, but I got the dreaded checkerboard
    effect. Oh well nevermind.

    I decker

    I Decker, Aug 9, 2003