    NF7-S v2.0 running at 2300Mhz. 1 GB of DDR 2100 running at 150Mhz. Asynch CPU
    FSB and memory (200/150). At least the bugs in the Catalyst 3.10 remained the
    same.

    Wblane, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Wblane

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Wblane stood up at show-n-tell, in
    , and said:
    Let's see.... you are running subpar cpu and memory and are yawning,
    because the new graphics card did not 'wow' you? Check your
    bottlenecks/settings. I think you have something wrong.

    WAIT. I just realized who you are....

    TROLL.

    *plop*

    Strontium, Jan 4, 2004

  3. I wouldn't call an OC'd XP3200+ subpar

    Peter Strömberg, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Wblane

    Dan Guest

    Something must be wrong.
    I went from a overclocked 9500 pro. (flashed Bios)
    To a 9800. There is a substantial increase.
    Now. I will add to that comment. My 9500pro when overclocked could handle
    anything that I could throw at it. The payoff is with newer games like "Call
    of Duty".
    I also noticed the increase in demanding flight sims like "IL-2" etc.
    I am running a xp3200 with 1g ram.
    So be patient...
    The 9500 pro is currently still a good card.
    Dan

    Dan, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Wblane

    rms Guest

    Barton on an NF7-S v2.0 running at 2300Mhz. 1 GB of DDR 2100 running
    You are right that intel fans have trouble figuring out that his cpu in
    isolation more than equals a 3.2ghz P4, but on the other hand Athlons are
    severly memory bandwidth-limited to begin with, and the OP is exacerbating
    this problem by running at a low memory busspeed.

    He would see more improvement by investing in pc3500 and running at 1:1
    ratio 220fsb or so.

    rms

    rms, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Wblane

    Mike P Guest

    Or at least run the memory and cpu in sync to avoid the wait states.

    Mike P, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    I was always curious about this. Since the Abit NF7s v2.0 has a 128-bit wide
    memory bus in dual-channel mode (something Intel doesn't have does it?)
    wouldn't it be more than capable of keeping up w/a 203Mhz FSB at 150Mhz? If in
    dual-channel mode it xfers 128-bits per cycle it would be functionally running
    at 300Mhz, even without considering DDR.

    Wblane, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Wblane

    Darthy Guest

    NO SHIT!

    SUB PAR = Celeron P4 core... where 2.6Ghz = SLOWER than a 1.4Ghz AMD..
    bottom end...

    Only area of AMD's weakness is the VIDEO encoding (making) and 3D
    rendering - because these are SINGLE tasking jobs DUE to the design of
    the Intel P4 CPU... which was made FOR Mhz more than actual
    Performance! DUH

    Oh... never mind the AMD64... smokes the P4s easily... at 1200Mhz
    Lower on the clock... and thats with 32bit Windows.

    Darthy, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Wblane

    Darthy Guest

    AMD CPUs don't use the bandwidth of a P4, but a P4 is VERY memory
    efficent with all the garbage IN<>OUT with its branch prediction....
    so it takes a big performance HIT without the memory.

    SO... with work such as Office and gaming, the AMD with its less
    memory bandwidth is STILL FASTER...

    But lets compare HyperTransport to Intel's memory bus for SMP,
    HyperTransport Is state of the art allowing 2-way bandwidth for data.

    Darthy, Jan 6, 2004