9500np (no problem?) to 9700........... after 1.5 yrs., there is a problem

Discussion in 'ATI' started by zZero, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. zZero

    zZero Guest

    I was lucky, even though I jumped on this bandwagon long after this mod
    was known and most of those moddable cards were gone, to get one that
    modded w/o problems (other than to get the Rivatuner mod to take).
    Still takes 20 tries b4 it works. After 1.5 years, I'm having total
    freezes in graphic intensive games, and can't get thru the old 3D Mark
    2001 (build 303) w/o a lockup near the end of the benchmark. I had the
    latest drivers, older drivers, re-DirectX-ed the puppy, etc. I called
    the tech at the video card Co. who said "have you reformated?" Is this
    the equivalent of saying "go away don't bother me?" I defrag and
    scandisk regularly. Use reg cleaners etc. Could it really be a software
    issue? My ram passed a ram test, and the cpu doesn't get too hot
    (MBM5). Cheers
    Win98se
    Epox 8KHA+
    512Mb Mushkin HiP ram
    Sapphire 9500np-9700 128Mb
    80g Maxtor 7200 HD
    yada yada
    p.s. (I have the WINXP upgrade sitting on my desk to be installed once
    I fix this)
    I don't wanna be a prick, but please read the post b4 telling me to do
    something already mentioned in the post. OK, I'm being a
    prick.....Cheers

    zZero, Jan 13, 2005

  2. zZero

    Glitch Guest

    Try unmodding the card.

    Glitch, Jan 13, 2005

  3. Even though you say that the CPU doesn't get too warm have you checked
    the actual card after one of these crashes? You could be having a
    problem with the fan or airflow being blocked.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jan 13, 2005
  4. zZero

    zZero Guest

    Though I didn't mention this, I'd tried it to no avail.

    zZero, Jan 13, 2005
  5. zZero

    zZero Guest

    I've blown air around all the fans. I've checked to see if the VC fan
    is running. I will remove the card soon and have a look. Cheers
    p.s. I will run this sys on another HD with a pristine copy of my
    system as of 1.5 yrs ago. Then i will kick myself in the head and try
    RMA'ng the VC.....

    zZero, Jan 13, 2005
  6. zZero

    borolad Guest

    - Wot [ exactly ] Mod did you do, and ;
    - Wot drivers are you using
    - Wot age [ without a reformat & reinstall] is the system W98 [Jesus]
    you are using.

    C'mon how long have you been using your current system ?

    borolad, Jan 13, 2005
  7. You might want to actually touch the card to see if it is too hot. My
    9700 Pro starts acting up when it gets too hot, usually when running
    Chronicles of Riddick, Escape from Butcher Bay.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jan 14, 2005
  8. zZero

    zZero Guest

    Reformatted about 1.5 yrs ago. Used Rivatuners catalyst mod for win98.
    No one else has modded drivers for Win98se anymore. Doubled my fill
    rate. I had the latest driver then went back to 4.3's to see if that
    would help.

    zZero, Jan 14, 2005
  9. zZero

    borolad Guest

    Yes, someone does, Omega, WiZZard etc
    After 18 months the fan unit is going to be wearing a quilt.

    After 18 months the O/S is going to be so absolutely full of shite.

    You may need to do a full clean out [ cleaners exist ] and maybe a
    re-install of your O/S to certify that the card is ok and that the O/S
    is the problem [ which is what I suspect ], but for now ;

    - GoTo : http://www.omegadrivers.net/
    - Radeon
    - Win9x
    - Get the v2.6.37 drivers
    - they will mod your card if it's moddable
    - the will overwrite most / all of the previous stuff

    - after installing, uninstall then re-install your MOBO / GART drivers

    Hope this helps, I haven't seen a Win9x system since the war ended.

    BoroLad

    borolad, Jan 14, 2005
  10. zZero

    Glitch Guest

    Strange,mine never does that.And I have Chronicles of Riddick installed
    and have played it a lot lately.The card doesn't get hot and my CPU
    temp. is 43C max.(2.8 P4 Northwood).I have yet to see what'll happen
    when I put a Zalman 7000Al-Cu and an ATI silencer.
    btw.do any of the ATI silencers fit on a BB ATI 9700PRO or do I have to
    put a VGA Silencer?

    Glitch, Jan 14, 2005
  11. I'm running a 3.4 Prescott and that gets hot enough. Add in the extra
    load from the game and my card can get hot enough to crash. This
    usually happens if I have to redo the same scene several times (such as
    dealing with Abbot) so something else may be happening. I have to put a
    side fan in as the side of the case over the CPU is warm to the touch.
    In my case I have a PCI slot fan to get rid of a lot of the heat from
    the 9700 Pro. I did this when I bought the card when they first came
    out to avoid warranty problems and most of the time it works -- I can
    feel the hot air exhausted by it.

    Michael W. Ryder, Jan 14, 2005
  12. zZero

    zZero Guest

    Which war?

    p.s. Those are old drivers. I've been running modded 4.10's, and
    recently reverted to modded 4.3's. I have 3.8's on a pristine HD that I
    will connect and see if that runs any better. Another symptom I noticed
    is that my computer won't start or restart now unless I hit the on
    button (no beep) then hit the restart button. If I just hit restart
    first, I have to do it twice. Whuzup wid dat??
    The only game I really play is a combat flt sim that takes place during
    that war......just b4 Win98se

    zZero, Jan 14, 2005
  13. zZero

    keithdisco Guest

    possible power supply problem

    keithdisco, Jan 14, 2005
  14. zZero

    borolad Guest

    There appear to be three issues, and the driver version is nothing
    whatever to do with any of them..

    The first of these issues is the ability to ' softmod ' any ATi card
    in any O/S with an installer routine that will overwrite any previous
    shite is all that counts.

    borolad, Jan 14, 2005
  15. zZero

    zZero Guest

    I copied an image of my sys (win98se) that I had saved on a spare HD
    circa 1.5 yrs ago to my current problematic HD (after formatting), then
    upgraded that with winXP. Card works fine now. Hasn't locked up in the
    game yet, and went thru 2 benchmarking tests w/o locking. Only
    remaining problem (new as of the last 2 weeks) is the sys needs 2
    starts or restarts to power up. Some have suggested the PS? Cheers
    p.s. Never would have believed the VC issue was software related.

    zZero, Jan 17, 2005
  16. zZero

    borolad Guest

    Yeah, that's where I'd start, alternately pull off all but the HDD
    etc, see what happens then, if it boot's ok without the other bit's
    its the PSU.

    Or could be the switch [ on button ] itself, open the case and pull
    off the wire , short the two pins with a screwdriver if it boots
    faultless it's the on-switch or cable etc.
    Good, pleased your sorted M8.

    borolad, Jan 17, 2005