    card, you could overclock a 9800 pro to XT speed if you get the right
    card anyway.

    Any help, thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 17, 2004

    JTS Guest

    You would notice the difference right away.

    JTS, Jan 17, 2004

  3. What did you go from to a 9800 pro ?

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Jan 17, 2004

    J. Clarke Guest

    Common misconception. The XTs use a different chip from the earlier
    9800s--the substrate has been changed to one with lower capacitance, thus
    allowing higher clock speeds. You _might_ be able to overclock a 9800 to
    the stock speed for an XT but it would be running on the edge of its
    ability while the XT has a good deal of headroom.

    J. Clarke, Jan 18, 2004

    Ben Pope Guest

    I can get my core (Crucial 9800 Pro with a Zalman ZM80A-HP) to 450MHz and
    Ram to around 360MHz. I think the XT is 412MHz and 365MHz. The memory
    chips on the XT have heat spreaders, mine do not.

    This lower capacitance substrate is not using SOI, I take it? Still, quite
    interesting, I didn't know that.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 18, 2004

    Darthy Guest

    Look here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
    And read the whole article...

    As you can see... 9600Pro = 50fps vs 90fps on the 9800Pro... yeah,
    you'd notice.

    The 9600XT is a bit faster, but not even close to the 9800NP...

    Darthy, Jan 18, 2004