    didn't even mention the dynamic overclocking feature or make any attemp to
    overclock the 9600XT.

    rms

    rms, Oct 16, 2003

  2. rms

    Frank Weston Guest

    With the street price of the 9700 Pro hovering around $275, and the
    projected street price of the 9600XT at about $170 (bundled with HL-2 which
    is a $40 value), it's not an apples to apples comparison. The 9700 Pro
    costs about twice as much no matter how you slice it, and even in
    Anandtech's review, it averaged only about 25% better (sometimes even less)
    performance in the tests. And, as you point out, the 9600XT was not tested
    with adaptive overclocking, which, according to ATI's propaganda, should
    bring the 9600XT very close to 9700 Pro performance.

    The dynamic overclocking feature was not tested because the Cat 3.9 drivers
    that make it work have yet to be released. Finally, don't forget the heat
    thing. If the 9600XT is a cooler running card, that, in itself, makes it
    attractive for many applications such as SFF.

    Glad you like your 9700 Pro.

    Frank Weston, Oct 16, 2003

  3. rms

    rms Guest

    With the street price of the 9700 Pro hovering around $275,

    More like $250, the 9700proAIW is only $263, and can be oc'd to stock
    9800pro levels. Also a powercolor 9800SE is $260, and these can be modded
    to 9800pros.

    All in all I'm a little leery now of the 9600XT, tho of course if you can't
    justify the extra $100, or are thinking of buying now and then buying again
    when the R420 appears, it might be a good option.

    rms

    rms, Oct 16, 2003
  4. rms

    neopolaris Guest