    I would've been by going with a 9800 pro instead? Anybody have insight on how
    much difference it would've made? Especially in a game like doom3 with lots
    and lots of shadows?

    Zodiara, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Zodiara

    Augustus Guest

    About 5-8% or so. Bigger difference on synthetic benches, smaller difference
    on actual games FPS benches. The 9800 Pro is somewhat faster at stock
    speeds. When the 9700 Pro is moderately overclocked it's basically identical
    to the 9800 Pro. At stock settings, running 3DMark03 at 1024x768, I've seen
    people report scores of around 5500. When overclocked, these go up to
    around 5800. My ATI 9800 Pro at stock does 5900. When pushed to 9800XT
    speeds it does 6200.

    Augustus, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Zodiara

    Cuzman Guest

    " Anybody have insight on how much difference it would've made? Especially
    in a game like doom3 with lots and lots of shadows? "

    This article was released at the same time as the 9800 Pro, so it doesn't
    have any specific Doom3 details. It does, though, give an overall
    comparison between the two cards:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ4

    Cuzman, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Zodiara

    NightSky 421 Guest

    A while ago, PC Gamer magazine did specifically state that the 9700 Pro was
    something of the unofficial video card of Doom 3, so I think it should be
    fine. Personally, I very much doubt going to a 9800 Pro would make much of
    a difference. As Augustus says, I agree about 5% to 8%.

    NightSky 421, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Zodiara

    Nada Guest

    I assume there will be barely a difference between 5900 XT and 9800
    Pro. And those lucky chaps who got their 9700 Pros can just keep
    sipping their sundays and enjoy the rest of the summer and fall. The
    regular 5900 has a slight edge over 9800 Pro, I believe. Xbitlabs
    posted some preview results.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/doom3.html

    Nada, Aug 4, 2004
  6. For Doom III :-

    I guess if you could get hold of a 256 Meg. ATI 9800 Pro this would be able
    to show a bigger improvment over a 128 Meg. 9700 Pro even above the higher
    clocked mem & core?

    From a previous post: http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm it
    appears that there are adavantages to 256 Meg. of VRAM and *this* game.

    BTW I have a 128 Meg. 9700 non-pro and am not planning an immediate upgrade.

    HTH

    BillL

    Bill Larcombe, Aug 4, 2004