9800 GX2: blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Anton, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. Anton

    Anton Guest

    Hello,

    Year ago I bought MSI GeForce N9800GX2 M2D1G. It has been working
    under Windows XP quite good during this year. Few days ago I started
    to experience a blue screen of death. I though it's time to reinstall
    windows but that didn't help. I have Windowx XP Pro SP3, after
    installing any nVidia driver (I tried original one from purchased CD
    with card, after I tried 185.85, 190.38, 190.56...) and machine
    rebooting I am getting blue screen. After booting in safe mode it
    works with disabled card's driver. After uninstalling driver it
    work's, also proposes to send to Microsoft the crash report: "Error
    Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)".
    There is short description on Microsoft site: infinitive loop in the
    driver due to driver it-self or card hardware problem.
    Is there any diagnostic tool for a graphics card? I suspect something
    happened with hardware... There was no any physical damage, I never
    overclock it and there is no sign it can be overheated. I have Cooler
    Master Cosmics S box with pretty nice air cooling system. I have 2
    years warranty from seller but I need some evidence what this is the
    card's problem. Help me plz.

    Anton, Aug 14, 2009

  2. Anton

    deimos Guest

    It is most likely a low level fault. Generally video cards either last
    nearly indefinitely or die very early on. It's unusual to see one act
    up after a year unless it's suffered abuse (overvolting) or overheating.

    The infinite loop problem is really not what it says it is. In general
    this error and a few others are a catch all code for general hardware
    faults as well. This can indicate bad RAM (video or system) or anything
    that causes a fault; since graphics cards are not fault tolerant or
    error correcting, you're screwed.

    In earlier days I would have said to also check your mobo for bad
    capacitors, but I'm guessing you have a relatively recent build and that
    shouldn't be a problem.

    RMA if you can, or even see if MSI will repair/replace if you foot the
    shipping cost if it's out of warranty.

    deimos, Aug 15, 2009