9800 Pro 128Mb or 9600XT 256Mb - which one to use?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Taipan, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. Taipan

    Taipan Guest

    I've recently picked up a new PC via a deal with my employer and have
    ordered an Evesham X800XT PE for it (whenever they get some in stock) and so
    I passed my former PC onto my g/f who is a bit of a Sims 2 fanatic.

    My new system came with a ATI 9600XT 256Mb ViVo which I'll obviously be
    removing once the X800 arrives but I'm just wondering if my assumption that
    the 9800 Pro 128Mb I've left in my old PC is a better bet than the 9600 XT
    for my g/f. The specs of the PC are Athlon XP2800+ Barton, 1Gb DDR (400)
    and Audigy (v1) on an Asus A7V8X motherboard.

    I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
    9600XT is fairly quick and has more memory - besides Sims 2, she also
    ocassionally plays Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and probably HL2 when it arrives.

    Which would you guys recommend of the 2 cards?

    TIA

    Taipan, Nov 10, 2004

  2. Taipan

    Augustus Guest

    I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
    No comparison....the 128Mb 9800 Pro is way above the performance any 9600XT.
    It has 8 pipelines and is a 256bit card. The 9600XT has 4 pipelines and is a
    128bit card. The 128Mb vs 256Mb of video memory makes no difference in
    performance.

    Augustus, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Taipan

    Conor Guest

    9800Pro overclocked to 9800XT speeds.

    Conor, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Taipan

    DaveW Guest

    The 9800 is a MUCH better card, and is noticeably faster.

    DaveW, Nov 11, 2004