9800 pro vs x1300

Discussion in 'ATI' started by DDC, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. DDC

    DDC Guest

    A thing to check is the pixel fillrate. The 9800pro has 3.04GP/s and
    the x1300 has 1.8GP/s witch is the amount of pixel that it can render
    per second.

    http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp

    I've purchase a x800 card from a x700pro and the difference was
    noticeable. the pixel fillrate was 3.4 Gpixels (x700pro) And the Peak
    Pixel Fill Rate for the x800 from msi was : 4.7GB/s.

    In 3dmark05 the difference was about 900 (IE: 3050 x700pro to 3900
    x800) so it was a good choice to me. getting a x800xl would be even
    better like 1800 more in 3dm05 because of the 16 pipeline vs 12
    pipeline that i own in the x800 one.

    If you want to spend a few extra dollar you should check like other
    are telling you the x850 or the x800xl witch is a real improvement in
    FPS.

    You can't go wrong with that...

    Have fun.

    DDC, Feb 12, 2006

  2. DDC

    ftran999 Guest

    I've had a Radeon 9800 pro (128mb) for the past two years which up until now
    has served me pretty well. However, after downloading and trying some of
    the newer gam demos such as Quake 4 and Timeshift it is apparent my current
    card is struggling to keep up. Obvious it probably time for an upgrade but
    I'm confused about the latest offerings from ATI that have come out since
    the 9800 pro. Since my MB supports AGP 8X, PCI-E is out of the question.
    Compusa is advertising a VisionTek x1300 (256MB) for $119.99 after rebates.
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336459&pfp=BROWSE
    For this price is there enough difference to warrant switching cards. ON
    PAPER the x1300 seems like the superior card, but I was wondering about real
    life differences.
    If it is not worth the difference than what card should I be looking at that
    will give me the "best bang for the buck" upgrade? I'd like to keep it under
    $200.
    FWIW my system: Asus p4c800-e deluxe MB, P4 3.0C processor, 1GB Corsair
    Extreme pc3700 memory, monitor is a 17" Dell Trinitron CRT and OS is WinXP
    sp2.

    T.I.A. for your comments

    ftran999, Feb 12, 2006

  3. DDC

    Mark C. Guest

    $200 is an awkward price point. For $100 more you can get
    a very substantial upgrade, e.g. X800 XT or X850 XT (if you
    can find a deal), or better yet, the new Nvidia-based 7800GS.
    But from benchmarks I've seen nothing in that immediate price
    range is worth an upgrade from a 9800 Pro. Even with an
    X1600 or 6600/6800 you won't see /that/ much of a difference.

    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you (P4 Northwood
    3.8GHz, AGP/Radeon 9700 Pro, Abit IC7-G MB etc) and
    have decided to wait a few months until prices come down a
    little on the 7800GS cards, to $250 or lower.

    Mark C., Feb 12, 2006
  4. DDC

    tod Guest

    The 9800 Pro is a good but dated card.
    The X1300 (4 pipelines) has only half the pipelines of the 9800 Pro (8
    pipelines).
    The X1300 uses 128 bit memory access, the 9800 Pro 256 bit.
    But X1300 is two generations later in design.
    But the new X1600 has 12 pipelines and all the new stuff as the X1300.
    The X1600 has 128 bit memory access, but 256 bit internal bus ring.
    You can get the X1600 256MB AGP card for $140 at newegg.
    only $20 more for 3 times the pipelines.
    I just bought a used X700 256MB AGP for $100.
    Now I wish I had just spent the extra $40 for the X1600.

    tod, Feb 12, 2006
  5. DDC

    tod Guest

    If you are using on board sound, try adding a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    card.
    I just picked up a refurbished for $57 off EBay, 30 day warranty
    With its built in DSP, it will take some work load off the CPU.
    You could maybe wait a little for a new graphics card, With S3 coming out
    with low cost
    mid range graphics cards, NVIDIA and ATI might start dropping prices?

    Have you tried overclocking your 9800 Pro
    try using ATI tool tray from www.guru3d.com

    tod, Feb 12, 2006
  6. DDC

    Mark C. Guest

    From benchmarks I've seen the X1600 is very disappointing.

    Mark C., Feb 12, 2006
  7. DDC

    tod Guest

    As it's a newer design, I thing it would take them a little time
    to perfect the drivers.

    tod, Feb 12, 2006
  8. DDC

    mxh Guest

    OK, how about this?: Non gamer, use systems for business, video, TV on a 24"
    wide screen display. Looking for an AIW card to replace an AIW 9000 Pro.
    Can't seem to find a reasonably priced AGP AIW card with DVI output.
    Obviously, since AGP is passing technology, I'd rather not spend a bundle on
    the card. The AIW9800 pro new is only about $70 cheaper than the AIW x800xt,
    but again, $300 on a card I may relegate to a lesser system in a year is a
    bit much. ANy suggestions?

    Thanks,
    mxh

    mxh, Feb 13, 2006
  9. DDC

    mxh Guest

    Oh, and also Photo editing via Photoshop CS2, and other operations that may
    be forgotten at the moment, but none of them 3D.

    mxh, Feb 13, 2006
  10. DDC

    Tom Lake Guest

    OK, how about this?: Non gamer, use systems for business, video, TV on a
    As I said in another thread, my brand new, never-been-out-of-the-box
    AIW 9800 Pro is only $175 USD + shipping

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8762671998

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Feb 13, 2006
  11. DDC

    mxh Guest

    Yeah, I was very tempted, but now that someone has bid on it, the "Buy Now"
    button is gone. Also, I have other issues that have arisen after flashing
    the bios on my K8N Neo2 Plat via MSI's live windows bios update and cannot
    get past POST. The short of it being that I may be converting to PCI-E
    sooner than I wanted (I had decided to wait until the M2 socket came out). I
    am in the midst of troubleshooting this issue now and will have to delay the
    video card purchase until I know what the outcome is.

    Thanks,
    mxh

    mxh, Feb 13, 2006
  12. DDC

    rapscallion Guest

    I was in the same boat a few months ago, looking to replace an agin
    9800
    After reading up on reviews and looking at benchmarks, for $200 I wen
    with the 6800 GS

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681413000

    Though it's just a hair above 200 clams. If that's too much, I woul
    go with the X1300 that you quoted, though I'm always iffy on rebates

    rapscallion, Feb 17, 2006
  14. DDC

    DDC Guest

    getting a x1300 card is like buying a 9600pro but with all sort of new
    tech....

    DDC, Feb 18, 2006
  15. DDC

    DDC Guest

    Same here...

    DDC, Feb 18, 2006
  16. DDC

    rapscallion Guest

    Very true....
    but the new tech is DDR2 and Pixel Shader 3, and for $120 it might
    just hold Ftran over until a PCI-Express MB upgrade.

    rapscallion, Feb 18, 2006
  17. DDC

    pigdos Guest

    So is the AGP X850XT better than the X1300 (presumably AGP)?

    pigdos, Feb 20, 2006
  18. DDC

    DDC Guest

    the x850xt performa as close as an x1800xl...

    and i dont know if there is any agp for from brand new dinosor x1300

    DDC, Feb 20, 2006