    a new Video card will be somewhat further in the future.

    If it matters I'm playing HL2 and Doom 3 right now. Will probably give Far
    Cry and MOH: Pacific Assault a try soon.

    Top Secret, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Top Secret

    LymanAlpha Guest

    The best way to tell if you're CPU limited or GPU limited is by
    increasing resolution size, if fps go down as res goes up you're not CPU
    limited.
    If you were to put a 6800 Ultra or X800 XT in with your Athlon you'd
    probably get the same fps at 1600x1200 as at 1024x768.

    So right now if you're happy playing games at 1024x768 the A64 will give
    you a boost, if you think it will help running at really high res think
    again, for that you'll need a new card.

    I have a 9800 Pro and an AthlonXP @ 2.2 GHz too, I'd probably get an
    nVidia 6800 before upgrading the rest of my system. Unless I was
    getting a really good deal on it.

    LymanAlpha, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Top Secret

    Blaedmon Guest

    I agree with Lyman. Although I dont really think an a64 would bring much
    change morese than a better graphics card like, as said, a 6800 or so. You
    can pick up 6800 OC's pretty cheap right now, great cards and they perform
    on par with their dearer brothers due to factory overclocking+. I myself are
    building a new A64 machine with a 6800-OC, wish the shop would hurry up and
    send my 3000+754 :/ Slow bastards.

    Blaedmon, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Top Secret

    ANTant Guest

    I had an ASUS A7V333 with Athlon 2200+ with 1 GB of RAM with an ATI Radeon
    9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) and Windows XP Professional SP2 (all updates). I
    recently switched motherboard, CPU, and RAM to ASUS K8V SE Deluxe, Athlon
    64 3200+, and 1 GB of RAM, I saw a significant difference in games
    including DOOM 3. Most of my games are at 1152x864, 0/2X FSAA, and the
    max anisotropic. I would say 5-10 FPS for me and that makes a difference.
    I think I can use this video card for another year for gaming (newer
    games).
    --
    "An ant is a wise creature for itself, but it is a shrewd thing in an orchard or garden." --Francis Bacon
    /\___/\
    | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
    ( )

    ANTant, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Yes, at least the minimum framerate will go up noticeably with that swap.
    Scenes that might not be as smooth because of CPU limitation will be easier
    to navigate thru. Doom 3 wakes up a bit, and the onboard memory controller
    has a bit to do with this. Depending on your current video card, the maximum
    will bump too. The A64 is a good upgrade from the XP, especially the
    Winchester core, which runs cool, consumes a bit less power, and can
    overclock well. But even the S754 A64s are a good improvement. If you're
    running anything from a vanilla 9700 on up, it's a worthy endeavor, IMHO.

    Nerdillius Maximus, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Top Secret

    Wblane Guest

    But I'll bet my system (2340Mhz Barton on a 206Mhz FSB w/1gig PC3200) w/a
    nexgen video card (say a Nvidia 6800GT) would beat your system in games
    benchmarks by a significant margin.

    Wblane, Nov 24, 2004