    Dvd's, any experiences of this card
    Regards
    Bob

    BH2, Dec 4, 2005

  2. BH2

    Jeff Heyen Guest

    Bob,

    According to the 9NDA3J manual:

    "Support Serial ATA, an evolutionary replacement for Parallel ATA IDE
    storage
    interface .Increases the peak data transfer speed up to 150MB/sec and allows
    future enhancements to the computing platform."

    The "150MB/sec" indicates that your board will support SATA150, or SATA I.
    In other words, it will be backwards compatible with your SATA II drive.

    Jeff

    Jeff Heyen, Dec 4, 2005

  3. No, this board supports SATA, not SATA II. Epox's NForce3 boards
    support SATA and AGP video. To get SATA II, you'll need to go NForce4
    and PCI-E video. I just built a new system using Epox's 9NPA+Ultra
    board. It's great so far. Specs:

    Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
    AMD Athlon64 3800 (Venice core)
    Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MBx2 (dual channel)
    Asus N6600 GeForce 128MB video
    Seagate 160GB SATA II
    Seagate 250GB SATA
    NEC ND-3540A DVD writer
    Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom
    Floppy drive
    Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU (with 20-24 pin adapter)
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
    Link Depot USB2.0 flash card reader w/ 3 USB2.0 ports

    As you can see I used some older parts, as this was a rebuild of what
    used to be my 8RDA+. (It's off at Epox getting its caps replaced.)

    One of these days, I'll stop building systems with floppy drives, but
    I've got so many lying around that I keep throwing them in. Besides,
    the can be awfully convenient sometimes. :)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 4, 2005
  4. BH2

    BH2 Guest

    G'day Jeff,
    Thanks for the information, appreciated a lot
    Regards
    Bob

    BH2, Dec 4, 2005
  5. BH2

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Hi Margaret,

    Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread but I have the same
    motherboard as you, the Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I'm also new to AMD systems. I have
    an Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego, 1 Mb Corsair TwinXL 3200 memory, a couple of
    PATa HDDs and an Nvidia 7800 GT OC Gfx card.

    I used my Corsair RAM in my previous Pentium 4 based system at its normal
    (Auto) settings, I don't overclock, without problems. I now find that my AMD
    system suffers from soundloop crashes if my Corsair RAM is run at its
    default settings. The only way I can keep my system stable is to reduce my
    memory from 400 to 333. I'd be happy to replace the memory as I've had the
    Corsair modules a couple of years. I think this is a compatibility issue
    rather than duff memory but I'd very much welcome your comments on this.
    I've read some quite negative reviews of Kingston memory and I note its
    relatively low price. I'd be very interested in more details of your RAM
    settings and experience with the Epox 9NPA+9 and the Kingston memory.

    Thanks for your attention,

    Ron.

    Fred Bloggs, Dec 5, 2005
  6. BH2

    BH2 Guest

    Thanks Margaret, next time I will try the PCI E and Sata II
    Regards
    Bob

    BH2, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Sorry I didn't realize you already owned the board. Just saw it in
    another thread. :)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Hi Ron,

    I have a matched pair of the HyperX PC3200. I'm running the latest
    BIOS, just set the RAM to run at "auto," and on boot, "DDR400" is
    displayed. I used this same pair in my 8RDA+, so when I ordered my
    9NPA+Ultra, I went to the Kingston site to make sure it would work in my
    board. The part number was on the list, so I didn't order new memory.
    As this board is supposed to handle double-sided DIMMs in all four
    slots, I figured I'd just order a second pair of the same HyperX PC3200
    when I upgrade to 2GB down the road.

    Anyway, I also have a matched pair of HyperX PC3000 (256MB each), and
    one stick of 512MB Corsair XMS. I'd used all three in my 8RDA+ (running
    at DDR333 of course), before I overclocked it. (That's when I upgraded
    to the DDR400.) Everything worked great there too, although this HyperX
    was underclocked. Never tried it without the Corsair stick, so I assume
    it would run at spec.

    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've found HyperX to be great stuff. I also
    like Corsair and would probably have gone with that had I bought new RAM
    for this new board, as I too have heard some not good comments about
    Kingston. But according to the Kingston site, the 9NPA+Ultra will use
    their Value RAM. So I don't know why it's not liking the HyperX.

    Re software: I installed v6.7 of the NForce4 drivers, but I didn't
    install the storage drivers or the firewall, as I've heard some have had
    probs with those. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 with updates. The only
    wierdness so far is that Black ICE caused random reboots, so I
    uninstalled it and currently use the Windows Firewall (my LAN's behind a
    router). I figured once I fine-tune my system, I'll try Black ICE
    again, as it's probably conflicting with some service I haven't turned
    off yet. :)

    Anyway, I hope the above provides some insight. Sorry I don't have a
    magic fix for you. :)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Forgot to mention that my Corsair XMS is PC2700, DDR333.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 5, 2005
  10. BH2

    h2so4 Guest

    Margarate,

    Many thanks for your courteous and helpful reply. Although you didn't
    provide a magic fix for me you did answer my question in exactly the way I
    wanted. My Corsair is a 1gb pair of TwinXL 3200 Pro. These ran perfectly
    well in my previous Pentium system. I don't overclock as I can buy the
    performance I want. I have overclocked in my earlier and more enthusiastic
    computing days but tinkering with my BIOS has lost its charms for me. I'm
    far too busy plotting the downfall of Capitalism! I'm very new to AMD and
    feel a trifle isolated as a non-overclocker in this unfamiliar milieu.

    Anyway, I think I'll give the Kingston HyperX memory a try. Thanks again for
    the friendly reply.

    Ron.

    h2so4, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Y'welcome, Ron. It's too bad that Corsair isn't running properly in
    your 9NPA+Ultra, as that's great RAM. I, too, am giving up
    overclocking. Although it was great fun for a while, I found it doesn't
    really save any $$, as what I don't spend on the CPU, I spend on more
    expensive RAM and cooling! :) BTW, there are a couple different
    HyperX PC3200 pairs. The part number for mine is: KHX3200AK2/1G (two
    512MB sticks), although the 2GB pair is supported as well. The
    KHX3200ULK2/1GB pair is more expensive and more importantly, not on
    Kingston's list of compatible RAM for the 9NPA+Ultra. Anyway, I got
    mine at Newegg:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144114

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 6, 2005
  12. BH2

    DaveL Guest

    Isn't it capitalism that allows you to buy the performance you want?
    Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Dec 7, 2005
  13. BH2

    h2so4 Guest

    So what's your bitch? I don't claim to be consistent! Neither Marx nor
    Engels starved themselves for their principles. Why should I?
    ;-D

    h2so4, Dec 7, 2005
  14. BH2

    h2so4 Guest

    Margaret,

    I really must learn to use a keyboard rather than a joystick for my
    messages. I see that I've managed to an an "e" to your name.

    Ron.

    P.S. I see that you're a American. If you happen to bump into George W Bush
    on your travels, would you mention in passing, that his War on Tourism is
    frightening the life out of us over here.

    Thanks,

    R.

    h2so4, Dec 7, 2005
  15. No problem, Ron. I'm used to most people misspelling my name, so I try
    not to get my knickers in a twist over it. :)
    Heh, yes, I am an American. But I'm also 50% British, as my dad
    immigrated from Scotland when he met my mom. We lived in England for
    five years when I was a kid. I'd probably be living on your side of the
    pond had we not moved back to the US shortly before I graduated high
    school. And BTW, this war scares the hell out of me too.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 7, 2005
  16. BH2

    h2so4 Guest

    Just to tie this all up Margaret. I did dump the Corsair RAM and bought
    Patriot 2GB Dual Channel 3200LLK. This runs very well with everything set to
    default. Now I can forget about my system for a while.

    Thanks again.

    Good wishes,

    Ron.

    h2so4, Dec 9, 2005
  17. Thanks Ron, good to know. Glad everything's running fine.

    BTW, I was reading in the Abit forum that their NForce4 boards will
    handle four double-sided DIMMs, but at DDR333. The 9NPA+Ultra's manual
    says it will handle four double-sided DIMMs, but it makes no mention of
    a speed limit. I'd hate to buy a second gig of DDR400 and find it will
    only run at DDR333.

    Does anyone have any experience with four DIMMs and this board?

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 10, 2005
  18. BH2

    h2so4 Guest

    h2so4, Dec 11, 2005
  19. Thanks Ron. Haven't seen that site before. Looks very interesting. :)

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Dec 11, 2005