    website. Therefore, does that mean that a laptop with a 3.06 P-4 installed
    does not have the occurance of speedstepping? Does the P-4 3.06 run full
    speed all the time in a laptop?

    i'm_tired, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Windows 2000 handles hyper-threading just fine. It has the two major
    things needed to make hyper-threading work right (spinlocks that don't steal
    execution resources and proper halts for idle processors). Newer versions of
    Linux and FreeBSD (and probably most other x86 OSes) do too.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jul 23, 2003

  3. i'm_tired

    path Guest

    The Pentium 'M' is actually not a Pentium 4 but a Pentium 3. Don't let that
    discourage you, for the Pentium 3 is significantly faster than a Pentium 4 at
    the same MHz.

    I think there is some half baked support for hyperthreading in Linux, but I'm
    not sure. Hyperthreading can give significant performance increases for a few
    things, but by and large, having HT enabled is not a magic speed bullet. If
    you're buying a Pentium 4, don't get a P4 3.06 - it runs with a 533MHz front
    side bus, it is better to get a computer with the new 800MHz front side bus.

    Laptop parts are very expensive. Best to just get a Pentium M than spend a
    fortune getting a top of the line laptop P4, which is realistically only going
    to make the computer an unnoticeable amount faster.

    path, Jul 26, 2003
  4. No, it's not. Windows 2000 can take advantage of HT just fine. It has
    both the necessary spinlock changes (to prevent a spinning CPU from stealing
    execution resources from one that is doing useful work) and the halt changes
    (to prevent an idle CPU from starving one that is doing useful work). This
    is sufficient to make HT a win under Windows 2000, especially for single
    processor machines.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jul 30, 2003
  5. Windows2000 Pro has the major HT-specific features necessary for HT to
    work. The only thing it's really missing is the code to properly handle the
    case where you have more logical CPUs than you are licensed for. But if you
    have one or two HT CPUs and Windows2000 Pro, you'll be fine.

    To put it more precisely, if you don't have two things, HT can actually
    hurt you. Windows 2000 has those two things.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Aug 21, 2003