A couple of questions about an MS MS-7125

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Tmuldoon, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Tmuldoon

    Tmuldoon Guest

    Hello,

    I have this motherboard and so far so good.

    This is my setup:

    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600
    (Service Pack 2)
    AMD 64 Processor 3000+ (1.81 Ghz)
    mobo: msi ->MS-7125
    Video: MSI MS-StarForce GeForce 6600 (NVIDIA GeForce 6600)
    Hard Disk : ST3160023A (149GB)
    CD-ROM/DVD : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd,
    5X Wr)
    CD-ROM/DVD : Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)
    RAM: 1 Gig

    On the mobo there is a small fan (not the CPU fan) on mine that has
    slowly been dying - making a buzzing noise.

    1) I need to replace that fan - anyone know what the part is called
    and where I can get one.

    See the diagram on http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum
    (bottom left quandrant of the mobo)

    My Video Card died (I think). The compute boots up fine with one OK
    Bios beep - no video - the monitor power light is flashing yellow
    indicatiing no video signal. It is almost 2 years old and out of
    warranty. I would like ot get another MS video card - and stay with
    the Nvidia chipset.

    2) Any idea what is the best MS video card I can use on it? I think
    my power supply is 400w.

    3) I would like to upgrade my CPU to a 64FX/64 processor (Socket 939)
    - anyone else try it - how does it perform. I also do a lot of DVD
    rendering - is this the best processor to get for gaming and rendering
    or should I stay with the CPU I have. (AMD's site does not show an
    AMD 64FX/64 FX53 or FX 55 on their comparison site)

    Thanks!

    Tmuld

    Tmuldoon, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Tmuldoon

    kev Guest

    On 01 Mar 2007, the world was enlightened by Tmuldoon's opinion about...
    Here's what I did my Neo4 Platinum recently:

    1. Swapped out the chipset fan with a new generic 'VGA Cooler' fan.
    2. Updated to the most current BIOS.
    3. Updated to the multiprocessor ACPI in XP Pro.
    4. Swapped out my old 3000+ Winchester with a 4400+ X2 Toledo.
    5. Got 2x512MB sticks of Crucial DDR500/PC4000 memory (2.5-3-3-8, 1T).
    6. Cranked the FSB to about 260MHz (2.86GHz), dropped the HT down to 3 and
    have enjoyed FX-70 performance since.

    500W PSU, EVGA GeForce 7800GT PCIE, WD 250GB SATA HD, 52x cd burner, 56x
    cdrom, and a floppy that I had from the old build. Nothing special in
    cooling except using Arctic Silver 5 for the heatsinks.

    Newegg still has 4400+ X2 939s for $200US (AMD doesn't make them anymore)
    and the memory is available there as well ($130US).

    It's like a whole new machine.

    CPU-Z: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=173337

    HTH,

    kev