A Failing Memory Problem?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Ron, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Ever since an unfortunate accident with my laptop, I have been running
    Windows 2000 on an old 166 MHz box as a temporary solution. While a
    bit sluggish, it worked okay for a long while then started to crash
    every once in a while-- usually right after I get on the Internet or
    post something, but also on other rare occasions when getting on the
    'Net wasn't involved.

    I thought it might be aused by running Win2k and switched to NT4.0 but
    the problem persisted even with a stable OS like NT4.0 so I then
    suspected the then new 80 GB hard drive as a contributing factor. I
    had problems with that ever since I first bought it and had returned
    it to the vendor for a replacement. The new HD worked suspicously
    liked the old one and eventually failed a month or two later. The next
    drive I put in was a brand spanking new 64 GB unit that works well,
    but I still have the problem of the system inexplicably crashing at
    odd times.

    The error message-- when I can see it-- is usually something about a
    memory dump. So now I have to wonder if maybe getting a new memory
    card to add to the system will help solve this problem or there are
    still other possible causes? Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Ron

    Ron, Feb 21, 2009

  2. Ron

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Well, if you get a memory dump, that does not mean the problem is
    with the memory. Still, a day or two of memtest86+ might be a good
    idea.

    Other than that, disks cannot really be kille by anything except the
    PSU. and by flaws in the disks themselves (and inadequate cooling,
    obviously).

    This sounds more like a problem with the mainboard or the CPU to me.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 22, 2009

  3. Why not put in new (and bigger) memory?

    DoDi

    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Feb 22, 2009
  4. Ron

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Because this may not help. In the worst case it makes real the
    problem more difficult to track down.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 22, 2009