    add another and get crossfire (it's in a Lanparty UT icfx3200-t2r/g
    mainboard). Do the manufacturer and the ram type (GDDR4 vs GDDR3) and
    ram amount need to match? Thanks, Greg.

    GTD, Oct 5, 2007

  2. GTD

    First of One Guest

    With newer drivers (Catalyst 6.11 and up), you can run any combination of
    X1900/1950 XT/XTX cards in "software Crossfire mode", without the clunky
    pass-thru monitor cable.

    - Brandname doesn't matter.

    - The two cards are allowed to have different memory quantities, but then a
    reboot will be required every time you toggle Crossfire mode - a pain if you
    run multiple monitors.

    - Clock speed and RAM type can be different. Crossfire allows two cards to
    run "asymmetrically". Depending on the rendering mode (split-frame,
    alternate-frame, or SuperAA), overall performance may be limited by the
    slower card out of the two.

    Avoid this card, however:
    http://www.gecube.com/products-detail.php?prod_id=65313
    Even though it's billed as an X1950XT, it uses the newer PCB design for the
    X1950Pro, and comes with internal Crossfire connectors. It may not jive
    nicely with the ATi reference X1950XTX design like yours (which doesn't have
    those connectors) in software Crossfire mode.

    First of One, Oct 5, 2007

  3. GTD

    GTD Guest

    Thanks. Looking on Newegg, there are no x1950 xt or xtx in stock, are
    they going to continue to make them, or have they stopped?
    They do however have a few x1950pro 512 meg cards, how much performance
    difference would there be between these crossfire setups:

    x1950xtx & x1950xtx, both 512 meg
    x1950xtx & x1950xt, both 512 meg
    x1950xtx & x1950pro, both 512 meg

    And for that matter, how much over a single x1950xtx? This is with an
    intel E6400 cpu. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Greg

    GTD, Oct 7, 2007
  4. GTD

    First of One Guest

    Like it or not, Crossfire upgraders are in the minority. For most users
    looking to buy a single standalone video card, there is no sense in
    purchasing the X1950XT/X, because it costs about the same as a GF 8800GTS
    320 MB.

    If Newegg no longer stocks the X1950XT/X, you can look on Pricegrabber or
    Google Products. For example:
    http://www.google.com/products?q=x1950xtx+512mb&hl=en&show=dd&scoring=p
    The X1950 Pro cannot be used in conjunction with an X1950XT/X in Crossfire
    mode (nor would you want to, since it's ~30% slower).
    I saw improvements of up to 75% in Oblivion when I added a second X1900XT.
    It allowed me to enable 4xAA and still maintain playable framerates,
    bringing a noticeable improvement in image quality. Whether it's worth the
    $290 cost of a second card is for you to decide.

    The other option of course is to sell your X1950XTX, then pick up an 8800GTX
    768 MB: as fast as two X1950XTXs in most situations, with fewer hassles.

    First of One, Oct 7, 2007
  5. GTD

    GTD Guest

    What's the deal with the "dongle"? I don't believe mine came with one, ,
    is it necessary? I saw a review the there was a big performance gain
    from using one. These will be used in a DFI Lanparty ICFX3200 T2R/G
    mainboard. If it's not included, where can one be found? Thanks, Greg.

    GTD, Oct 12, 2007
  6. GTD

    First of One Guest

    When the X1950 cards were first introduced, there was another SKU called the
    Crossfire Edition, which was equal in specs to the X1950XTX, but had an
    additional hardware compositing chip and a high-density connector on the
    backplate. A thick dongle cable is used to connect the Crossfire Edition
    card to the "normal" X1950XTX DVI port for data communication between the
    cards.

    A long time later, after AMD acquired ATi, the ability to run two X1950XTX
    cards in "software" Crossfire mode was introduced.

    Performance difference between the "dongled" setup with a Crossfire Edition
    and the "software" setup with two identical X1950XTX cards, can be between 0
    and 20% depending on the application. The Crossfire Edition costs quite a
    bit more than the regular X1950XTX nowadays, if you can even find one
    (froogle.com is your friend).

    First of One, Oct 12, 2007