A Few Questions Regarding the AIW 1800XL

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Alex Moreau, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Alex Moreau

    Alex Moreau Guest

    Hello,
    I recently purchased this card and have been mostly satisified with it. I
    don't really game, but the improvement in video & TV quality on my 2405fpw
    has made the purchase worthwhile.

    The questions:

    1) How does one determine which catalyst version is in play? I installed the
    drivers from the CD and haven;t bothered to upgrade. MMC is 9.10. The driver
    version on the device manager display properties are 8.183.0.0, whereas
    clicking on Driver Details states a file version of 6.14.10.0298. I suppose
    what I may be looking for is the 'Catalyst' version #.

    2) Upon installation, the CD provided an opportunity to download an H.264
    decoder. What will this decoder do for me? Will it allow better playback of
    DVDs & TV? Will it decode HD content from my STB (although it's connected
    using s-video, so that alone would limit the quality). IOW, Is this decoder
    worth bothering with, and under what circumstances would it be used?

    Thanks,
    Alex

    Alex Moreau, Jun 24, 2006

  2. Alex Moreau

    First of One Guest

    8.183.0.0 is fairly old, at about the age of Catalyst 5.10. The latest is of
    course Catalyst 6.5 and MMC 9.14. Update if you have issues, or if game
    performance is unsatisfactory.
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=21594

    H.264 is just another video format under the MPEG4 umbrella, similar to
    DivX, XviD, etc. If you come across H.264-encoded video online, like a
    bootleg of some movie, then this decoder will let you to play it, no more,
    no less.

    DVD playback and TV reception are not touched at all. If a signal is coming
    in through the S-video port, the card treats it as just another analog video
    stream.

    Keep in mind the ATi/Cyberlink decoder costs money. There are free H.264/AVC
    decoders available online. Of course, download and install only if you come
    across H.264 content.

    First of One, Jun 25, 2006

  3. Alex Moreau

    Alex Moreau Guest

    5.1 seems kind of old for an 1800XL, but I guess the question then could be:
    is 6.5 generally thought to be less buggy than 5.1? There are some stability
    issues with MMC, nothing that can't be tolerated, but somewhat of a
    nusiance. Also, any video related benefits to upgrading?

    OK, Thanks. I can't think of any reason to have it at theis point in time.

    Thanks,
    Alex

    Alex Moreau, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Alex Moreau

    First of One Guest

    Note there's a distinction between Catalyst 5.1 (released Jan. 2005) and
    5.10 (released Oct. 2005). 5.10 already supports the X1800 series. The
    drivers on your CD may in fact be slightly older than 5.10.

    Catalyst 6.5 is less buggy than 5.10. Read the release notes for a list of
    fixed issues and known problems.
    Image quality should be unchanged. You will find newer MMC fixes a few bugs
    and perhaps adds a few more. Only way to know is to try it out.

    First of One, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Alex Moreau

    T Shadow Guest

    while war is politics with bloodshed."If I understand correctly .264 can be used to put your own video on devices
    like Ipod to take your video with you. I have recently seen DVD players that
    support it. .264 is supposed to have better compression for a quality
    setting. It would take up less room on disk(c)s too. Don't know that it's
    true. Have no experience with it.
    YMMV

    T Shadow, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Alex Moreau

    First of One Guest

    Yep, though you'll need an H.264 *en*coder for that. The *de*coder offered
    by ATi/Cyberlink doesn't come into play at all.
    Yes, H.264 is another format under the MPEG4 umbrella, with all its benefits
    (and stiffer hardware requirements). I imagine some DVD players support it,
    along with DivX and XviD. However, no commercial DVD movie uses H.264.

    The upcoming HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs use H.264 as the standard codec.

    First of One, Jun 25, 2006
  7. Alex Moreau

    Alex Moreau Guest

    Thanks, First. I appreciate the info.

    Alex

    Alex Moreau, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Alex Moreau

    T Shadow Guest

    ATI site says the AVIVO Converter outputs H.264/AVC.
    ?

    T Shadow, Jun 26, 2006
  9. Alex Moreau

    First of One Guest

    Correct. The AVIVO Converter is a different animal from the Cyberlink
    decoder that's linked from the ATi web article on H.264, though. As far as I
    know, installing AVIVO alone won't let you watch H.264 videos; it just
    outputs to that format. (Someone with experience using AVIVO please correct
    me if I'm wrong on this.)

    First of One, Jun 26, 2006
  10. Alex Moreau

    T Shadow Guest

    O.K. I see what your getting at. Didn't realize something else had to be
    bought from Cyberlink. Thought it was like the ATI/Cyberlink audio renderer
    that comes with the HDTV Wonder. Doesn't surprise me too much though, after
    the fiasco with the HDTV Wonder and Multview.

    T Shadow, Jun 27, 2006