A nasty display problem on a Thinkpad T20

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Nick E, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. Nick E

    Nick E Guest

    Since a picture is worth 1000 words, please find below my 3000 word
    essay on "A nasty display problem on a Thinkpad T20". I'd appreciate
    any input on what the faulty component can be:

    1. Inverter card
    2. System board
    3. LCD display
    4. Other

    Notice that the leftmost 2 cm of the screen is fine (the fuzziness is
    just high compression of the JPG image). Using an external display
    works perfectly. So, what do you think is wrong?

    I ask because I need to know what to replace. I'll try a DIY job on
    this one because IBM won't fix it for me. Sure, my warranty has
    expired, but I had the exact same problem "fixed" under warranty less
    than a year ago. I don't know what they did to solve it then, but it
    worked when I got it back. IBM apparently only has a 3 month guarantee
    on repairs.

    http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01758b.JPG
    http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01759b.JPG
    http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01764b.JPG

    Nick E, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Nick E

    Quaoar Guest

    Nick E wrote:
    > Since a picture is worth 1000 words, please find below my 3000 word
    > essay on "A nasty display problem on a Thinkpad T20". I'd appreciate
    > any input on what the faulty component can be:
    >
    > 1. Inverter card
    > 2. System board
    > 3. LCD display
    > 4. Other
    >
    > Notice that the leftmost 2 cm of the screen is fine (the fuzziness is
    > just high compression of the JPG image). Using an external display
    > works perfectly. So, what do you think is wrong?
    >
    > I ask because I need to know what to replace. I'll try a DIY job on
    > this one because IBM won't fix it for me. Sure, my warranty has
    > expired, but I had the exact same problem "fixed" under warranty less
    > than a year ago. I don't know what they did to solve it then, but it
    > worked when I got it back. IBM apparently only has a 3 month guarantee
    > on repairs.
    >
    > http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01758b.JPG
    > http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01759b.JPG
    > http://www.entek.chalmers.se/~niclas/DSC01764b.JPG

    4. Other... You are going to have to open the unit anyway, so once you
    get in there, first check the connector to the LCD on the mainboard.
    You could get lucky and it's loose. If it were the mainboard/video
    chipset, the external monitor would not work, unless it is in the analog
    signal processing for the LCD, then it's eBay for a board.

    Quaoar, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Nick E

    G Tom Guest

    Ooh! ooh! I had this EXACT same problem on an a20m about a year ago! I
    didn't know what was exactly wrong either, but I took a guess and
    replaced the LCD panel. Now it works fine! It was about $150. I'm a
    big fan of the field service manuals IBM publishes on their website.
    That's how I replaced mine.

    Good luck!

    G Tom, Jul 2, 2004