A note about fixing game stuttering I posted about a while back

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ofn01, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    Regarding this thread I started a while back:
    http://tinyurl.com/3les9

    Just to note that in the following games on my system:

    half life 2
    far cry
    doom 3 demo (in particular)

    Upgrading from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM took away any annoying stuttering at
    certain points (note that my HL2 didn't have the infamous stutter
    problem as I got my copy after they had released the fixes). The change
    was really amazing in the doom3 demo.

    System specs:
    Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (1MB cache, 800FSB) with HT (Prescott)
    MSI 865PE NEO-2 P MS-6728 Ver 2 (No D-bracket) 3.50 AMI BIOS
    Crucial 2x512Mb PC3200 (DDR400) DIMMS (1Gb)
    256 Mb ABIT 9600XT (Catalyst 5.1)
    FSP Group FSP300-60PN 300W +3.3@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@18A, +5Vsb@2.0A,
    -5V@0.3A, -12V@0.8A
    Western Digital 160GB 7200rpm hard drive with 8MB buffer
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS with Creative Inspire P580 speakers (5.1 surround)
    Sony DVD-ROM drive (16x)
    Sony DW-D22A Dual-Layer IDE DVD+/-RW (black)
    Speedtouch router via onboard Realtek lan port
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    memtest86 1.27: 7.5 hour all tests no errors
    Motherboard Monitor Voltages: +12V@12.77, +5V@5.05, +3.3V@3.36
    3DMark2001: 13200, 3DMark2003: 3800, 3DMark2005: 1600

    ofn01, Mar 9, 2005

  2. ofn01

    Augustus Guest

    Games like those really require 1024Mb RAM to be hiccup free. If you're
    stuck with 512Mb, the best approach is to kill all unnecessary background
    services and memory resident applets. Most people's XP boxes are using
    275-300Mb of the available RAM just sitting there. Doesn't leave much for
    the game without mega swapfile access.

    Augustus, Mar 9, 2005

  3. ofn01

    Mike Guest

    Yes, far cry is what prompted me to go to 1gig ram, stopped the stutter.

    mike

    Mike, Mar 9, 2005
  4. ofn01

    SteveK Guest

    in most cases the HD access causes that particular stuttering. 1 gig ram
    gives u around 700Mb free space. This is not much since Doom3 pops a
    warning, when switching to ultra-high detail, that texture alone will be
    500MB. In Far Cry I note a slight problem when reloading same level too
    often (due to instant death) it can result in a hefty stuttering in this
    level. However, exiting the game and starting over fixed the problem.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
    Tested on: 10/03/2005 8:49:33 AM

    SteveK, Mar 9, 2005
  5. ofn01

    Derek Baker Guest

    [snipped]

    Isn't it good that there are games that push our systems, rather than
    something like Deus Ex 2 designed with the XBox poxy 64meg limit?

    Derek Baker, Mar 9, 2005
  6. ofn01

    Geneve Guest

    Regarding this thread I started a while back:
    In my case I already had the one gig of ram however there is a dvd burner
    as well as a cdrws drive in that box.

    I had two game cds. Thief DS, and Doom 3 (full retail legal versions).

    When I would play Thief DS it would stutter.

    Removing the other cd stopped the stutter.

    Geneve, Mar 10, 2005