A note on distribution of SP2

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Andrew Brown [MS], Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I wanted to clear up a misconception regarding distribution of Microsoft's
    recent Service Pack 2 release. We have seen SP2 download sites outside of
    microsoft.com, as well as the sharing of SP2 via peer-to-peer systems. To be
    clear: these are *not* sanctioned distribution methods and should be
    reported to . People and organizations are allowed to
    copy and distribute for installation on their own machines only, not the
    machines of others. Per the EULA that comes with SP2:

    "Microsoft grants you the right to reproduce install and use one copy of the
    OS Components on each of your computers that is running a validly licensed
    copy of the OS Software."

    If there is any change in this policy as we continue to roll out SP2
    throughout this month, I will post here in the newsgroup with an update.
    Note that posts which advocate piracy of SP2 (regardless of "checksum
    verification" or other defenses) are not appropriate content for the
    Microsoft public newsgroups and will be potentially subject to deletion.

    All of us here at Microsoft are extremely excited to see the release of SP2,
    including the many Tablet PC-specific enhancements. If you are encountering
    issues with SP2, please be sure to post about them in as much detail as
    possible (particularly if the issue happens 100% of the time given certain
    steps) so that myself or one of the MVPs can report them through the proper
    channels.

    Thanks!

    --
    Andrew A. Brown
    MVP Lead, Microsoft

    Please reply to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

    Andrew Brown [MS], Aug 12, 2004

  2. Andrew Brown [MS]

    RonK Guest

    Andrew,

    This may be off topic or may not follow proper netiquette, but here it goes
    anyway...

    **EXTREME** unprofessional posters who preach this nonsense across numerous
    MS newsgroups should be banned. I believe everyone has the right to voice
    their opinion. But, when posted content is **REPEATEDLY** obnoxious,
    abusive, offensive and inaccurate, it only creates chaos and disruption to
    the group.

    My $.02 ... FWIW ...

    RK

    RonK, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Ron,

    These are unmoderated newsgroups. If you find a particular person's posts
    unacceptable, there is a Message -> Block Sender in Outlook Express that you
    can use and messages from that person won't show up anymore.

    It's unfortunate that it's come to that. Too bad everyone can't get along
    like on Tablet PC Buzz. :)

    Josh Einstein, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Andrew Brown [MS]

    RonK Guest

    Josh,

    Copied from Andrew's previous post:
    "Note that posts which advocate piracy of SP2 (regardless of "checksum
    verification" or other defenses) are not appropriate content for the
    Microsoft public newsgroups and will be potentially subject to deletion.
    "

    RK

    RonK, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Understood, but they can't ban. They're public newsgroups and posts are not
    "approved" prior to posting. So blocking sender is the only way to ban
    someone from your own view.

    Josh Einstein, Aug 13, 2004
  6. Andrew Brown [MS]

    RonK Guest

    Josh,

    They can block an IP address, which is quite static with many broadband
    providers.

    Inquiries can also be filed with the posters ISP if issues are serious
    enough, as in "Legal Issues" ...

    RK

    RonK, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Andrew Brown [MS]

    Guest Guest

    Static maybe, but not for eternity, remember...

    Guest, Aug 18, 2004