A problem with the screen saver and DOS Ful screen programs

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Manfred =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Preu=DFig?=, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Hello,
    I have a problem each time my screen saver works with DPMS or when I use
    a DOS Full screen program. I'm using a XFX GeForce 4 MX 440 SE 64 SDR
    TV-Out GraCa with 44.03 Detonator on a win98FE system. When the screen
    changes all works fine and the screen saver or the DOS program can be
    used. But at the end the screen is not switched back correctly. Ther are
    parts showing only colored pixels without showing anything with sense
    and other parts showing regular parts of the desktop -but old parts not
    actually used. I'm nearly sure these are parts of the desktop swapped
    out before to show other windows overlapping those these desktop parts
    belong to. Since 64 MB isn't needed for a 1024x768x16Bit desktop it
    seems probable and thinkable to me that the rest is used as a swap area
    for hidden parts of the windows shown on the desktop. Of course these
    swapped data are not deleted as they are not needed anymore. I think the
    memory management of the graca is confused so the scrren shown is a
    mixture of the normal desktop and these parts outside the screen memory
    normally used for the desktop.

    If I do anything changing the desktop contents (like pressing the
    windows key on the keyboard activating the task bar) the screen is
    changed too -most in a part nearby to the top of the screen shown on the
    monitor; at a line two or three centimeter down from the top. The real
    desktop so seems to be comprimated at the top part of the screen.

    This behaviour is not changeable through any action so the computer must
    be rebooted. I haven't tested yet if there is any change if there is
    activated the screen saver another time or a DOS full screen program (or
    a mixture of it like: first the saver and then the DOS program or vice
    versa).

    Do anyone now this behaviour and know some other solution then nether
    use the saver in DPMS-mode or a DOS full screen program? Do anyone know
    where to get any of the older 3x.xx driver for the card (I want to try
    this)? Can anything wrong in the system itself cause this behaviour (the
    hardware isn't changed)?

    Thanks and greetings

    Manfred Preussig

    Manfred =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Preu=DFig?=, Aug 2, 2003