A question about dust & my nVidia card.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by sNuffles, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. sNuffles

    sNuffles Guest

    Aloha,

    I hadn't had any trouble until a couple weeks ago.
    Midnight Club II and Madden 2004 ran just fine.
    All of the sudden Midnight Club II starts to freeze
    and get these weird artifacts (lines suddenly flash
    then go away) that make it VERY distracting to drive
    with. I'm 80% done and really want to finish the game.

    I updated the drivers 44.03 to 52.16 thinking it might be
    a help but no go. Everything's still freezing intermittently.
    XP has no problems (insert joke here) with it's display.

    I ran my Sisoft Sandra Pro diagnostics & everything seems
    to be o.k. but I know it's not really.

    I opened the pc & found gobs of dust so I guess I'll need
    to get some compressed air & do some fall cleaning.

    Can dust effect the nVidia card?
    Would that make it freeze up?
    What else could cause this?
    Has anyone else had this problem?

    Help please & thank you.

    --
    Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751
    256MB

    sNuffles, Nov 15, 2003

  2. sNuffles

    JBM Guest

    Yes it can, depending on how much dust your talking about.
    The video card will dissipate heat slower than normal and heat up.
    The same goes for your CPU or any other component.

    than normal

    JBM, Nov 15, 2003

  3. sNuffles

    baskitcaise Guest

    Sure can, I strip my system down every 4-6 weeks and give it a good clean, cpu
    and graphics.

    With having 3 dogs that shed all the time and tend to sit at my feet near the
    case inlet fan I have terrible dust bunny probs, I monitor my temps and after
    around 4 weeks I can see the cpu temp slowly creeping up about 1 deg every
    week, so when it reaches 45C I strip it down and de-bunny it.

    baskitcaise, Nov 15, 2003
  4. sNuffles

    Geoff Rogers Guest

    Can anyone tell me what the normal operating temperature for
    a Compaq Presario S4500 machine is.
    AMD Athlon XP 3000
    512MB
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB

    Running Sisoft Sandra it tells me it is running at 55C.
    The machine is 1 month old and there are 2 fans running
    at the rear. Not much chance to accumalate dust yet.

    Geoff

    Geoff Rogers, Nov 15, 2003
  5. sNuffles

    phobos Guest

    Even with regular maintenance, you'll often have to do more than just
    blow dust off a the PCB. There can be a film like residue of dust left
    on the card even with a good hard puff.

    The best way to clean it is with a non-conductive fast evaporative
    cleaner. Cans of compressed air for electronics often have a mild
    surface cleaner in them which dissipates almost on contact. Another
    solution is a dustless cloth with a gentle non-conductive cleanser (like
    contact cleaner).

    phobos, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Yes, Dust Off Professional XL works really well for this. You can get it at
    your local CostCO center in packs of 4 for like $10. Usually you can find
    it at an electronics store or in a catalog that specialized in that kind of
    stuff for like $3 per can.

    Robert Pendell, Nov 16, 2003
  7. sNuffles

    sNuffles Guest

    I'm gonna get the cleaning tools when I get off
    work today....I'll have more questions if this doesn't
    clear up my problem.

    sNuffles, Nov 16, 2003