    Word and Excel?

    TIA.

    Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Dick Snyder

    Warren Oates Guest

    You could try NeoOffice, it seems to go back to Word 5, Works, and
    Excel 4.

    http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

    Warren Oates, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    I downloaded and installed Open Office but I had no luck. Thanks anyway.

    Dick Snyder, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    At $80 it is quite pricey though it might do the job. I will wait here to
    see if there are any other ideas and then maybe I will shell out the money.
    Thanks

    Dick

    Dick Snyder, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    Since Open Office didn't work for me, is it still worth trying NeoOffice? I
    see that NeoOffice is based on Open Office.

    Dick Snyder, Apr 16, 2007
  6. Dick Snyder

    Denominator Guest

    In the Classic environment I use ClarisWorks 5 to open Word 5 and IIRC
    Excel 4 documents. Then I save them to be compatible with my OSX apps.

    Denominator, Apr 17, 2007
  7. An easier solution all around would be another method of obtaining
    prices for a date certain. The business section at your local library
    should do if you can't find an online source.

    (please don't top post in this group.)

    John McWilliams, Apr 17, 2007
  8. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    While I am interested in that one stock price, there is a lot of other
    information that I thought I had "in perpetuity" that I don't want to lose.
    Clearly I can get the one stock price but I am worried about future needs.

    Dick Snyder, Apr 17, 2007
  9. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    If someone who reads this group has MacLinkPlus perhaps they wouldn't mind
    if I sent them one of the Word files and one of the Excel files. If it can
    handle the job, I will purchase it. I would only need to know if it worked
    correctly - I don't need to see the results.

    Dick Snyder, Apr 17, 2007
  10. Sure, send them to me.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 17, 2007
  11. Dick Snyder

    Tim Bradshaw Guest

    I think the lesson there is: if you want something "for ever" keep it
    in a format which you are sure you'll be able to read "for ever".
    That probably means: never in some word processor's format, unless you
    are sure you can extract text from it easily and are happy to lose the
    other information.

    Of course, it's easy to say this *now* and it doesn't help you, other
    than to make sure that when you do extract it you store it in some
    long-term-readable format.

    --tim

    Tim Bradshaw, Apr 17, 2007
  12. Dick Snyder

    Jon Guest

    On that topic: What - if anything - can read WriteNow v. 2/3 files
    nowadays? AFAIR, WN used a parallel format for storing formatted text,
    so there is always the possibility of reading the ascii, but all
    formatting is lost. In some cases (larger works) that can make a real
    difference. I'd like to store it as RTF, or (preferably) XML. PDF is an
    option.

    Jon, Apr 17, 2007
  13. I don't know, but if anyone does, please post it here.

    I'll expand the question to does anything else read them?

    I've collected various Mac word processors, but have never seen Write Now.

    Thanks,

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Apr 17, 2007
  14. Dick Snyder

    Jon Guest

    It was a fantastically compact, quick and full-featured WP package that
    originated back in the very early days of the Mac. It was almost
    entirely assembly coded (!) and the initial package was <100K on disk.
    It would easily fit, with a System Folder and room to spare, on a 400 K
    flopp in the pre System 5 days. Even v. 3, which had paragraph and
    character styles, footnotes, live WYSIWYG columns and more, was less
    than 512K and would run in 512KB memory on a 68000 CPU - quicker, I
    might add, than does Word 2004 on my 1GHz G4. And you could easily use
    it on a floppy-based system. (The silence, the silence... ah.)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WriteNow
    http://www.macease.com/writenow-latest_info.html

    Jon, Apr 17, 2007
  15. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    Thanks Michelle. A poster just before you offered to try to use MacLinkPlus
    to try to translate a couple of sample files. If that works I will buy
    MacLinkPlus myself. I just sent him two test files. If I don't hear from him
    I will ask you to give it a shot.

    Thanks again.

    Dick

    Dick Snyder, Apr 17, 2007
  16. WordPerfect, a free download that runs fine in Classic or with SheepShaver on
    Intel, reads WriteNow files. It could save them as RTF or MS Word 6, which the
    current version of Word can read.

    John Rethorst, Apr 17, 2007
  17. Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder Guest

    A public thanks to Dave Balderstone who tried to convert two of my files
    using MacLinkPlus. It was unable to find valid data so I will have to pursue
    an alternative path. Thanks Dave for trying!

    Dick Snyder

    Dick Snyder, Apr 17, 2007
  18. Dick-

    I've converted hundreds of files for coworkers who switched to Windows
    machines. The "secret" is in adding a suffix to the file name. Add
    ..doc to Word document files, .dot to Word template files and .xls to
    Excel files.

    I think the same approach will apply to reading them on AppleWorks and
    Open Office, since neither Windows or Mac OS X uses the file type and
    creator of older Mac files to identify them.

    If you have some old text files downloaded from the web or created using
    SimpleText, you could read them in Windows by changing the suffix to
    ..txt. However, there is a end-of-line difference with Windows text
    files resulting in paragraphs consisting of one LONG line. Instead, add
    the .doc suffix, and Word can read them correctly.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 17, 2007
  19. Dick Snyder

    Jon Guest

    lovely! :)

    Jon, Apr 17, 2007
  20. Dick Snyder

    mark Guest

    Try opening the word files in BBEdit/TextWrangler. There will be no
    formatting, but you may be able to read the baseic text.
    I still have Claris 4 and it may be able to open them (unless someone
    else has already tried it).

    Mark

    mark, Apr 18, 2007