    Some technicians analyzed my PC but nobody understands anything.
    Will I have to replace the PC or my capture video card ?
    thanks Fogar

    Fogar, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Fogar

    rstlne Guest

    If a surge made it through your power supply back through the system then
    everything could be damaged, at the same time you might have only 1 problem,
    and once it's gone everything will come back to normal. I would strip the
    system down to barebone and see if it works at that level, if so then start
    adding parts to it, ram first, floppy next, ect ect, if you add a card and
    it doesnt work then put it off to the side, when your done strip the system
    back to bare and test each non working part individually (that's what I
    would do)..
    Now as a side note, modem, nic, and hard drive mfgr's have been known to fix
    these things as part of warranty..
    Most spikes of electricty shouldnt make it through your PSU but sometimes
    they do

    rstlne, Jun 27, 2003

  3. It's really quite rare for a powerline surge to make it through the
    power supply to damage a computer's internal parts, but if it does
    happen, there's no way to predict what could be damaged, could be
    everything or only one item.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Fogar

    The Cybrow Guest

    It's possible. I've seen a pair of hard drives and a video card ruined
    in a power supply failure. In this case the vid card wouldn't work at
    all. If I remember correctly you have an DVRex RT. It would be sad
    if that expensive equipment is damaged. If you can, try it in another
    system and see if it works.
    You might try removing the card from device manager and all drivers
    and video software. Remove the card from your PC. Write down your
    present BIOS settings, clear the CMOS then reset the BIOS. Install
    the card and software. Might be worth a try.

    The Cybrow, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Fogar

    .Aba Guest

    You speak as if 12 volts is unimportant. If so, do you think these
    penny pincher mfgs. would use it? I preach of the need of a GOOD PSU
    as perhaps the most NEEDED item in the box, but it's not sexy or seen.
    Please explain what a change of electricity is. If the voltage
    fluctuates as when a air conditioner comes on a GOOD PSU probably
    could handle it, and prevent parts decay.

    .Aba, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Fogar

    BNR Guest

    In fact I don't see any image in "Preview" box.

    Sounds like software to me. Hang in there buddy. Brad

    BNR, Jun 29, 2003