  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/08/a_walk_through_.html
    Tuesday, August 16, 2005
    A Walk Through The Xbox 360 Evaluation Lab At Microsoft's Mountain View,
    Calif. Campus
    Dean Takahashi, 12:01 AM in Dean Takahashi, Gaming

    (This story is a companion to a shorter piece we're putting in the
    newspaper)

    Leslie Leland was kind enough to walk me through the product evaluation and
    reliability labs for the Xbox 360 at Microsoft's Mountain View, Calif.,
    campus earlier this month. She's one of the hardware engineers who makes
    sure that the box will work when it arrives under Christmas trees this fall.

    On the tour, I got to see some working prototypes, as well as many with
    their guts torn out. Behind doors with coded keypads, Microsoft is literally
    baking some of these machines to see if they can live up to tough quality
    standards before they begin shipping this fall. Here and there, engineers
    say that they're the first to begin playing next-generation games.

    If you don't know the history of the Xbox, Mountain View is worth
    explaining. Microsoft acquired its position in the heart of Silicon Valley
    when it bought WebTV Networks for $425 million in 1997. That was a very
    expensive boondoggle.

    But there were a cluster of video game veterans from 3DO within WebTV. Folks
    like Tim Bucher, Dave Riola, and Nick Baker.

    They stayed on and tried to pitch Redmond on a WebTV-like video game
    console. They lost out to the team from Redmond that proposed the Xbox, and
    had to content themselves in 2001 with designing UltimateTV, a digital video
    recorder that didn't resonate that well with consumers. The Xbox went on to
    sell more than 20 million units, and much of the WebTV team was absorbed
    into the Xbox division.

    Some departed, but the remaining team at Mountain View soldiered on, and in
    many ways, WebTV has gotten its revenge by playing a major role with Xbox
    360. "You could say we came in as the relief pitchers," said Leland.

    Leland, who used to work at Apple, is a hardware engineer who has been with
    Microsoft since the acquisition of Web TV. She's part of the hardware group
    that has developed considerable expertise in video technology and helped
    contribute to the system design.

    She has to make sure that the consoles coming off the production lines work
    properly. We sat in her office for a while and talked about old projects,
    like the "QT" project aimed at cutting costs out of the original Xbox.

    She showed me some old motherboards. Every year, the guts of the Xbox were
    ripped out and replaced with cheaper, more efficient components. But
    consumers never noticed because the outside of the box stayed the same.
    Leland slaved away on motherboard redesigns known as "Xblade," "Barcelona"
    and "Tuscany," but no one ever heard about them.

    As Microsoft began the Xbox 360 project in late 2002, it started putting
    together a worldwide team. (It's interesting to note that Sony announced the
    Cell project with IBM and Toshiba, before Microsoft's planning began, and it
    won't ship until after Microsoft ships).

    J Allard, corporate vice president of the Xbox platform, convened a small
    team in Redmond to work on the product concept. During 2003, the team
    figured out that it wanted to launch before Sony this time, which meant that
    the box had to be ready in the fall of 2005.

    After scouring a number of vendors, it hired IBM, which put more than 400
    chip designers to work at several of its sites to design the microprocessor
    for the Xbox 360. ATI Technologies signed on in August, 2003, to create the
    graphics chip. Allard said that IBM had been ahead in terms of thinking
    about multiple processing cores on a single chip. ATI, which put 300 people
    to work on its chip, had a clever idea to couple the graphics chip with its
    own dedicated memory. It was not a derivative of a PC graphics chip, said
    Rick Bergman, an ATI executive.

    Todd Holmdahl, the corporate vice president in charge of the hardware,
    decided to exploit a manufacturing scheme that had been executed by Nintendo
    with the GameCube. Instead of having the chip makers make and sell chips to
    Microsoft, he just got them to perform the chip designs.

    Both IBM and ATI agreed to let Microsoft own the designs so that it could
    control the cost reduction schedule and get the chips made in any factory.
    This is dubbed "customer-owned tooling," which literally means that the
    system maker, in this case Microsoft, owns the rights to the "mask set," or
    the part of the tools that define the design in silicon.

    Under this scenario, Microsoft pays an engineering fee that is lucrative for
    both ATI and IBM, but it doesn't have to pay high margins to ATI or IBM for
    making the chips, and it can go directly to a chip contract manufacturer.
    The goal is to cut costs and to control its destiny. After all, Microsoft
    remembers it lost $125 on each of the first Xbox machines sold, and it got
    into a dispute with Nvidia over chip pricing to boot.

    As the silicon vendors started working on the inside, others paid attention
    to the outside of the box. A lot of newcomers joined in to define the
    console, which of course had to be smaller than the version that the
    Japanese rejected. Microsoft invited a bunch of industrial designers to
    create "gestures" for the console's look.

    It narrowed down the choices to a couple of firms. Astro Studios in San
    Francisco and Hers Experimental Design Laboratory teamed up to create the
    industrial design under the direction of Jonathan Hayes, design director at
    Microsoft. They went back and forth on the look of the box, coming up with
    sketches over and over again until a concave style emerged as the winner.
    Flextronics lent its support on how to design in components that could be
    manufactured easily.

    "Flextronics knows the inside out really well," Leland said. "The mark of
    success is that the outsiders push the insiders to do their best and visa
    versa."

    Larry Yang, another former WebTV engineer, led a group of 100 engineers on
    various Xbox chip projects at Mountain View. Yang worked at Sun Microsystems
    for a decade, helping to architect its Sparc microprocessors. He tripled the
    size of the team beyond its WebTV roots, adding considerable firepower from
    other hardware and chip companies in Silicon Valley. The team included chip
    architects, designers, verification experts, physical layout experts,
    operations people, supply chain managers and logistics planners.

    Robbie Bach, the chief Xbox officer, even came down for a visit once to make
    sure all the WebTV folks stayed aboard and helped with the 360. He knew that
    they had a lot of options in the valley. One of the chips they designed was
    a TV encoder that would support the TV-side of the system.

    Altogether, they were a part of a team of 1,000 working for hardware chief
    and corporate vice president Todd Holmdahl. If you count the people at the
    three big factories of Flextronics, Wistron and Celestica, there are more
    than 10,000 people at work making sure that the Xbox 360 arrives on time in
    November.

    When Leland signed on to help, she thought, "Holy shit! We just finished the
    first one. We gotta cost reduce it. And then make the new one."

    On the older Xbox, Leland had to help deal with issues like cable problems
    in Australia, the huge controller that was so big the Japanese didn't like
    it, disk-scratching problems that also turned off Japanese customers. (She
    explained to me why my own Xbox was starting to go on the fritz, failing to
    recognize some of the newfangled DVDs that have a lot more features on them
    than the old ones.)

    The Xbox 360 project has run a lot more smoothly than the last one.
    Simulation technology has advanced and helped make sure that the hardware
    would work right out of the gate. That's where a lot of the big bugs were
    found, even before anything was etched in hardware, Leland said. Last time
    around, Nvidia ran late on the graphics chip, Flextronics had start-up
    problems in the factory, and Microsoft had to postpone its launches in Japan
    and Europe. That gave Sony an insurmountable lead.

    But this time, the critical hardware is done. IBM "taped out," or finished
    its chip design, on Dec. 8, 2004. ATI finished its graphics chip in
    November.

    Within 48 hours, IBM's chip was running rudimentary game code. Yang's team
    also finished its own design of a TV encoder chip on time. Silicon
    Integrated Systems did the support chips, also on time. All told, there are
    more than 400 million transistors on the chips in the box and a kilometer of
    wiring in the top three chips. Now all of these teams still have to make
    sure that they debug their working prototypes, but everything is looking
    good.

    This is why Microsoft has been able to ship several thousands software
    development kits with prototype hardware to game developers. Sony recently
    said that it had only delivered around 450 kits to developers for the
    PlayStation 3, which debuts as early as next spring. Microsoft's prototypes
    don't seem to be running at full speed, but Microsoft says the final chips
    are on schedule.

    We walked around the lab to a guy who was roasting his Xbox 360. He was
    testing the processor by heating it up to 70 degrees Celsius.

    "We've gotten to a zero bug count," Leland said. "We have thousands of bugs
    in the database." Leland said that the Xbox 360 hardware will be made with
    lead-free solder, a big deal because of environmental concerns. In Europe,
    all electronics have to meet lead-free requirements by July, 2006. Leland's
    team had to make sure that the hardware complied with the regulations.

    For the 360, Leland ran a production evaluation team in Mountain View,
    looking at testing the Xbox 360 hardware, running reliability tests, and
    running manufacturing tests too. Her people had to make sure that the box
    complies with Federal Communications Commission regulations on wireless
    emissions.

    So one of her people spends a lot of time zapping electrical pulses into
    tortured prototypes. She has had to travel to China, where the factories
    are, to help set up testing labs, including a room where people just play
    Xbox 360 games like "Perfect Dark Zero" all day long. (Flextronics and
    Wistron are existing partners from the first iteration of Xbox, while the
    relationship between Celestica and Microsoft is newly formed. All three
    plants are located in the Pearl River Delta region in Southern China.)
    Leland is constantly on the phone or sending instant messages to people all
    over the world. "It's what we call high tide," Leland said. "We're just
    getting over it. Our high tide started a year ago."

    She walked by a table with a bunch of wiring and some more decapitated Xbox
    360s and said they test them to see if they can withstand surges that come
    from lightening strikes. There is something called an "ESD gun" on the
    table. I think to myself, if lightening strikes my house, I don't think I
    will keep playing my game. She also said they have to test for dealing with
    voltage changes and brown-outs.

    A guy named Rich Lee showed me a gigantic chamber where he can simulate all
    sorts of environmental conditions. There is room for 120 Xbox 360s on the
    racks in this room, which can be heated or cooled as needed. I step in and
    feel the warm air blast me. The Xbox 360s stay in the pressure cooker for up
    to 72 hours at a time. There are about 1,100 components on the motherboard.
    A lot of stuff can go wrong.

    But Leland says that the teams are already at work on the plans for year two
    and year three. "To get the Christmas, we have to ramp production. We do a
    summer hand-off to the factories, and on to distribution and retail."

    We leave the test labs and end up eating a sandwich in the back lobby.
    Leland is obviously having the time of her life. "Everywhere we go, when
    people here we are working on the Xbox 360, we get mobbed. It's very
    emotional."

    I finished by talking to Yang and Holmdahl on the phone. It's clear they
    want to get millions of consoles out before Sony ships its first one. To
    make that happen, they have to be paranoid about getting the whole supply
    chain synchronized. The grand scheme all assumes that Microsoft will have
    the games that gamers want to play.

    "It all comes down to supply," he said. "All it takes is a shortage of one
    part to limit your supply."

    Guest, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Me wants an XBox 360
    technolust.....drool....must game...HALO....more....HALO....

    /me stands up and gets herself together

    Whew!
    ~Melodie~ Aka AnonomissX

    AnonomissX aka ~Melodie~, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Yo, lady, me likes your style. ;)

    --

    If you feel you can't go on,
    Call Someone Now

    Bikini Whacks, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Guest

    jack Guest

    Highlander wrote:
    <snip OT crap>

    Cross-posting troll. Clueless, clueless idiot....PLONK!

    jack, Aug 17, 2005
  5. Guest

    chrisv Guest

    That's all this "highlander" idiot does, is massively cross-post this
    kind of stuff, with an occasional name-change to avoid kill-filters.

    chrisv, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Guest

    carl0s Guest

    isn't it funny how lust is an anagram of slut!
    I'm not trying to be rude or insulting btw, it's just that I skimmed your
    post and thought I read "technoslut" :)

    carl0s, Aug 17, 2005
  7. LOL Guys :D
    ~Melodie Aka AnonomissX

    AnonomissX aka ~Melodie~, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Guest

    Paul Ding Guest

    It's not necessarily a accident. The origins of the word "slut" are
    not clear, but the word may be a cross between the words slattern and
    lust, since the word slut connotates not only one who lusts, but also
    one who is untidy and filthy.
    Melodie has a reputation here of being playful, but not of behaving in
    a disreputable manner.

    Insults usually don't work unless there's at least a little bit of
    truth to them - which is why Graphite usually sticks to "senior
    technologist" in trying to insult me. He is wet behind the ears, so
    I'm relatively senior, and he rarely knows what he's talking about, so
    I'm a technologist compared to him.

    When he really goes around the bend, he hasn't the ability to act as
    an adult, so he reverts to kindergarten behavior, crying "Liar, Liar"
    at anything he doesn't want to hear, and anyone he perceives as a
    meanyhead.

    Paul Ding, Aug 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    keith Guest

    That says more about you than her. Note that I rather like her attitude,
    what I've seen of it (from whatever group she cross-posts from).

    keith, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    carl0s Guest

    Perhaps not for you. Miserable day, eh?
    It doesn't say anything about anybody, hence me clarifying that I wasn't
    making a personal comment, rather an observation of the written word. I
    suggest you wind your neck in and shut yer gob.

    carl0s, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Guest

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    I love it when the poindexter gloves come off.

    Mattinglyfan, Aug 20, 2005