    Basicly I want to have H/W RAID 0+1 for my oracle datafiles and
    possibly software RAID 1 for logs etc.

    Will the A1000 allowe me to do that ?

    Guest, Sep 11, 2003

  2. No. I think you are confusing the A1000 and the D1000.
    The A1000 has a hardware raid controller and a single SCSI
    connection to a Ultra High Voltage Differential controller.
    The D1000 has no hardware raid but can be split so that
    two controllers can be used, one for each half.
    These devices are getting old; you should look for something
    more modern.
    The A1000 supports multiple LUNs with different configurations,
    but it's all hardware RAID. Why would you want the extra work
    of having to do software RAID?

    David B. Chorlian, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Why use software RAID at all? A1000 is a HW raid box. Anyways, I would
    suggest to skip the A1000/D1000 to look at Sun's newer SCSI disk
    arrays. A1000 is still a good workhorse but it's a relatively old
    technology, expensive, probably has the most arcane SCSI disk array I
    have ever dealt with. It's good only if you need to connect it to
    Solaris 7 or 2.6 machines since the newer disk arrays are not
    supported on those.

    Akop Pogosian, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Guest

    John S. Guest

    Sorry but the A1000 does have 2 SCSI ports. Normally you would connect
    your cable to the 1st SCSI port and then have a terminator on the 2nd
    SCSI port. It is possible to remove the terminator and connect a
    second host if you do all the necessary changes (multiple scsi
    initators). Do a search on "dual hosted A1000".

    So with that in mind you'll see that the D1000 actually 4 SCSI
    ports....

    It's very easy to forget that just because there is a terminator on
    the SCSI port doesn't mean it can't be used... i know I 've done that
    before...

    hth,

    John S., Sep 12, 2003
  5. Sorry, but you're confusing ports and connectors. Every box
    containing a SCSI device I've seen has two connectors for
    daisy-chaining. Whether what's inside is capable of responding
    to requests from independent sources is a different question.
    My A1000 Manual has no mention of "dual hosted A1000".

    David B. Chorlian, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Guest

    rc Guest

    Can any one sugget a newer disk array, I need about 160 GB total disk
    space, will be connecting it to a Sun fire 280R running Solaris 8

    To keep the cost down I am considreing putting only the oracle data
    files on RAID arrary and the rest can be on non RAID disks only.

    rc, Sep 13, 2003
  7. Guest

    Scott Howard Guest

    I'm fairly sure all SCSI devices are required to respond to multiple
    initiators, as a part of the standard SCSI spec.
    From memory a dual-ported A1000 is only officially supported in a Sun
    Cluster environment, although it will work in any config as long as you
    have termination at both ends of the bus.

    Scott.

    Scott Howard, Sep 13, 2003