    All 4 messages in topic - view as tree

    From: Robert W. King - view profile
    Date: Tues, Jul 12 2005 4:31 pm
    Email: "Robert W. King" <>
    Groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
    Not yet rated
    Rating:
    show options
    original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

    Hi folks!

    I've been living with a problem with my ThinkPad A21m (running Windows
    XP
    Pro SP 2) for some months now. It shuts itself down at random times.
    The
    shutdown is abrupt - no orderly shut-down with files being closed and
    so
    forth. Restart is always quite normal. I have had files damaged
    occasionally by improper shutdowns. I've replaced the CMOS battery and
    the
    RAM. The machine does not appear to be running hot. I haven't been able
    identify any association with unusual CPU or HD activity. Can anyone
    offer
    any suggestions as to the cause and cure for my problem?

    --
    Robert W. King
    I'm an ingenieur, NOT a bloody locomotive driver!

    Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

    From: Michael Wileman - view profile
    Date: Tues, Jul 12 2005 4:39 pm
    Email: Michael Wileman <>
    Groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
    Not yet rated
    Rating:
    show options
    original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

    In <> "Robert W. King"
    I have this same problem with an A22m. Most often if occurs
    while playing video, but not always. One way to reduce file
    loss is to disable disk caching. The machine is long out of
    warranty, so I don't really have any hope of repairing it.
    Please post if you find a solution.

    Mike

    Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

    From: JHEM - view profile
    Date: Tues, Jul 12 2005 5:54 pm
    Email: "JHEM" <>
    Groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
    Not yet rated
    Rating:
    show options
    original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author
    Sounds like it's overheating.

    Does the fan start on BOOT? Clean the fan with compressed air!

    Reseat the RAM, might be memory related.

    Open the unit up and slather a bit (just a bit!) of Arctic Silver
    between
    the fan and CPU.

    Regards,

    James

    Reply Rate this post: Text for clearing space

    From: Bill - view profile
    Date: Tues, Jul 26 2005 11:38 pm
    Email: "Bill" <>
    Groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad
    Not yet rated
    Rating:
    show options
    original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

    I had this problem with an A21e. Turned out that the CPU fan had
    stopped
    working, just like James says, so the unit shut down when it
    overheated.

    IBM wanted to replace the whole mother board (nobody does repairs
    anymore,
    huh?), but I opened it up and hot-wired the fan to be always on. I got
    the
    power from an unused USB pad on the main board. Not recommended unless
    you
    have a fine-tipped soldering iron & you are very experienced with
    delicate
    soldering.

    Bill.

    Reply Rate this post: