A64 3000+ won't O/C on MSI K8N Neo4 Diamond like on MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Uffe, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Uffe

    Uffe Guest

    On a K8N Neo2 Platinum with 2x512 HyperX 3200 memory I could easily
    overclock my A64 3000+ Winchester to constantly run at 2430 MHz (9 x 270,
    HT 3x).
    I recently bought a K8N Diamond SLI, using all previous components except
    for the graphic card (now running a single Gainward 7800GT Golden Sample,
    ie. not SLI)), but I cannot come even close to my earlier O/C results.

    Even with modest O/C on the CPU (abt 2000 MHz) the system often hangs at
    booting and/or soft restart, and will only restart after one or several
    attempts to hard reboot, if at all. Have worked with these values: HT: 3x,
    CPU Ratio: 9x, FSB: 200-270, memory settings slower than on Neo2, voltage
    settings same or higher than on Neo2.

    The PSU is an 480 W Antec Truepower, so power should be no issue.

    So I have tried on the K9N Diamond to adopt the same O/C settings I
    succesfully used in the Neo2, but the Diamond Bios 1.70 has several more
    memory tweaking options than the Neo2 Bios, and they are not explained in
    the Diamond manual. I don't know how to tweak all those new options, so I've
    left them at Auto.

    Luckily, it is much easier to clear the cmos in the Diamond with that easy
    access button as compared to the Neo2 ;)

    Would appreciate your advice on successfully overclocking the K8N Diamond
    bearing in mind that I know how to O/C the Neo2. What's the difference?

    TIA

    Uffe

    Uffe, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Uffe

    Flow Guest

    Can't you lower the memory frequency?
    You should be able to set it at 166mhz or even 133mhz.
    With the cpu fsb at 270 or 300 your memory should go little over 200.
    Also you can up the memory voltage in bios,this might be needed when going
    over 200mhz fsb.
    The correct way of setting this mainboard is to first lower the memory and
    see how far the cpu will go.
    Then lower the cpu multiplier and see how far the memory will go.
    On my k8n neo4 platinum i have memory set at auto,except for the bottom part
    of the row,there i enabled manual so i have 1T for memory set..
    The memory will go up along side with the cpu fsb,so if your memory wont go
    much higher it's stopping the oc process.

    Flow, Oct 16, 2005