    If I had to update the bios to get the board to run an athlon xp how can
    I do this.

    Thanks

    Dominick LoGiudice, Nov 14, 2003

  2.
    Dominick LoGiudice, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Dominick LoGiudice

    JK Guest

    That is fairly simple to answer by this site

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    it shows that you are limited to a fsb266 cpu (so no barton and no
    fsb333 or fsb400 cpu).

    I would go fot the thorougbred 2400+. It is 2.0 GHz.
    Yes, avoid it, memory benchmarks are half numbers with sdram, but this
    might lead to just some 10-20 % performance loss totally for the PC

    I would go for some second hand pc2100 ddr ram. People sell them
    because they need more speed for an fsb333 or fsb400 cpu.
    How to do it ?

    Well, I will definitely recommend that you call a nerd friend to help
    you.

    Bios flash program:
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/

    the aflash221

    biosfile:
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_A/ALI_Chipset/ALI_Magik_1/

    beware if you have a7a266 or a7a266-e

    best regards

    John

    JK, Nov 14, 2003
  4. Dominick LoGiudice

    Kevin Guest

    I have that exact motherboard and am running a Athlon XP 2400 but the board
    does not recognize the chip properly. Even with the newest bios. You need a
    rev 1.10 to be able to take full advantge of the XP cpu. Some people do
    manage to get them working normally but mine wont post at 133 fsb due to
    multiplier woes.
    Tried unlocking multipliers on chip and still no go. Also tried running it
    in manual with the dip switches but still the same. Chip is running at
    100mhz fsb with 20x multiplier which is still better than my old Athlon
    1200. Other than that it has been a rock stable board.
    best of luck.
    Kevin

    Kevin, Nov 15, 2003